Options
Kizhuyak
Kizhuyak Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 16 in TravelMate and Extensa

Hello;

I'm considering purchasing a TravelMate laptop such as:

https://store.acer.com/en-us/travelmate-p2-laptop-tmp215-53-53zw

or:

https://www.newegg.com/steel-gray-acer-travelmate-tmp214-54-788c/p/N82E16834360301

Can anyone tell me if the motherboard/BIOS in either of these laptops support Wake-on-LAN? Or better yet, can anyone tell me if Wake-on-LAN capability is supported on all TravelMate systems?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• Kizhuyak
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks very much for your response. The laptop will reside in a remote location and be configured to sleep after going on battery power (i.e. during a power outage) in the hope of being able to survive the outage without completely draining the battery. It being asleep however, means that I need the ability to wake it up remotely, hence the need for Wake on LAN.

Thanks again.

Answers

• naiya
    naiya Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options

Unfortunately, I don't have specific details on whether Wake-on-LAN (WOL) is supported by the motherboards/BIOS on those particular TravelMate laptop models you mentioned. Wake-on-LAN is a feature that allows a computer to be powered on or woken up from a low-power state remotely over a network connection.

However, I can provide some general insight on Acer's support for Wake-on-LAN on their TravelMate business laptop line:

1. Wake-on-LAN is commonly supported on many modern business-class laptops, as it can be a useful remote management and power saving feature for IT administrators.
    2. Acer does not explicitly state whether all TravelMate models universally support WOL. It likely varies by specific model and year.
    3. You'd need to check the technical specifications or system BIOS settings for your exact TravelMate model to see if Wake-on-LAN is listed as a supported feature.
    4. Newer TravelMate models running on Intel's vPro/AMT platform tend to have better support for Wake-on-LAN and remote management capabilities.
    5. Even if supported by the hardware, WOL may need to be enabled in the laptop's BIOS/UEFI setup utility.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,957 Trailblazer
    Options

Note that the document linked is for an earlier model, not the P215-53. The answer however, is correct. The TravelMate P215-53 does support Wake on LAN, with a toggle in the BIOS to enable/disable it.

Also note that with Wake on LAN enabled, there will be a slight power draw while the laptop is asleep, in order for the LAN to be active. So, don't leave it on battery for long periods of time or else you could go to start it up and not have enough juice without plugging in the power.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kizhuyak
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks very much for your response. The laptop will reside in a remote location and be configured to sleep after going on battery power (i.e. during a power outage) in the hope of being able to survive the outage without completely draining the battery. It being asleep however, means that I need the ability to wake it up remotely, hence the need for Wake on LAN.

Thanks again.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,957 Trailblazer
    Options

Makes perfect sense. I have various systems that are setup the same way, so I can remote in after a power issue.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.