TMP645-M-54214G52tkk Can I change the cpu on my motherboard?

Options
yin_chia5132
yin_chia5132 Member Posts: 11 New User
edited March 16 in TravelMate and Extensa

Hi…can i ask can it change the cpu on my motherboard.If can…which type can compatibility on this laptop of the cpu socket ..

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,957 Trailblazer
    Options

Although it is possible to change the CPU, it's not feasible to do that. Changing it requires desoldering the old one and soldering in the new one, in a surface mount environment, so takes a very competent technician. You are limited to the Intel Haswell ULT chips, so it's not going to provide much at in the way of performance improvement over what you have now, and if you are already on one of the i7s there is nothing better. Your laptop is easily past it's really useful life at seven years old. Better to spend the money on a newer system than to do much with the old.

On that note, however, there are lots of things that can help system performance even on older machines. First and foremost is to make sure you have replaced the old spinning HDD with a SSD. There is an mSATA port on the motherboard, which predates the current M.2 type ports, but those SSDs are still available. It would likely be cheaper to just replace the HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD though. If you already have done that upgrade you can look at how much memory your system has. IIRC they mostly came with 4GB on the motherboard and have a single SO-DIMM slot for expansion. You can put a 2GB, 4GB or 8GB stick in that slot, DDR3L 1333 or 1600, reducing the potential for swapping memory out to the drive.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.