Can not install McAfee security apparently due to windows 11 in s mode in Acer Aspire 3

Options
Ratfink
Ratfink Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 15 in Aspire Laptops

My recently acquired device an Acer Aspire 3 has Windows 11 in S mode. I have been trying to install McAfee security, but have been informed that windows 11 in s mode prevents me from doing so. Its the s mode that appears to be the problem. Was it pointless getting this security. How do i disable this s mode?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,519 Trailblazer
    edited March 13
    Options

Read this: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/switch-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-11.9788/

You should uninstall all 3rd-party programs, AV, browsers, trial versions and bloatware from your new laptop and only use Edge and Defender. Download your programs from the Windows Store, avoid downloading from 3rd-party and obscure freeware sites. To completely unistall McAfee you need to download/install the McAfee uninstaller from the site as Windows uninstaller won't remove remnants in the registry and at some point, it may reinstall and continue to interfere with Defender and Edge. Also don't install PC Cleaner and other freeware to uninstall programs or "check" if drivers need updating, Windows11 will do that much better and safer.

• Ratfink
    Ratfink Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I thank you for your response, after I logged out I found the info I needed soon afterwards, it was straightforward to remove the S mode, then easy to install the McAfee purchased in store along with the laptop. Cheers.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,519 Trailblazer
    Options

You are welcome, glad you got it to work, FYI, many of us don't install or uninstall McAfee and exclusively use Windows11 Security and Defender. 3rd-party AV programs interfere with Edge, Defender and Windows security, use a lot of your resources, online bandwidth for no reason as Windows11 provides already the best security available on the market. Note that Windows won't uninstall McAfee completely, you need to download the uninstaller from the McAfee website for that, 😉