Acer Chromebook Spin 713, sudden shutdown.

Options
scenicavalon
scenicavalon Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 13 in Chromebooks

Okay, so the problem I have with the laptop is related to the power port being used on the left side of Chromebook. If right hand power port used, no problem. If I plug in to the left side, Chromebook immediately switches off. This is followed by the intermittent revving up of the fan in an off/on rhythm as if it is trying and constantly failing to restart. Plug it in to the right hand port and it all restarts and runs fine. On restart it reports an unexpected shutdown and asks do I want to restore previous page view. Suppose I should bung blue-tack in left port as something obviously wrong there. What has gone wrong?

Best Answer

• jesse628wallick
    jesse628wallick Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

It sounds like your Acer Chromebook Spin 713 is experiencing a hardware issue with the left USB-C power port. If using the right-hand port doesn’t cause any problems, this suggests that the left port may have a fault causing the device to shut down when attempting to charge or transfer data.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue.

Inspect the Port Look for any visible signs of damage, debris, or foreign objects in the left USB-C port that might cause a short circuit or poor connection.
    Test with Different Devices Try plugging a different device into the left port, like a flash drive, to see if the port is functioning as a USB port.
    Hard Reset Perform a hard reset by turning off the Chromebook, then pressing and holding the refresh and power buttons for about 10 seconds. This can sometimes resolve hardware-related issues.
    Check for Firmware Updates Ensure that your Chromebook’s firmware is up to date, as updates can sometimes resolve hardware recognition issues.
    Contact Support Since this seems to be a hardware issue, it might require professional repair. If your device is still under warranty, contact Acer support for assistance.
    Avoid using the faulty port to prevent further damage, and do not insert any objects like blue-tack into the port, as this could cause more harm. If the problem persists, it’s best to have the port repaired or replaced by a qualified technician. Remember, attempting repairs on your own could void any existing warranty.

Answers

• jesse628wallick
    jesse628wallick Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

It sounds like your Acer Chromebook Spin 713 is experiencing a hardware issue with the left USB-C power port. If using the right-hand port doesn’t cause any problems, this suggests that the left port may have a fault causing the device to shut down when attempting to charge or transfer data.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue.

Inspect the Port Look for any visible signs of damage, debris, or foreign objects in the left USB-C port that might cause a short circuit or poor connection.
    Test with Different Devices Try plugging a different device into the left port, like a flash drive, to see if the port is functioning as a USB port.
    Hard Reset Perform a hard reset by turning off the Chromebook, then pressing and holding the refresh and power buttons for about 10 seconds. This can sometimes resolve hardware-related issues.
    Check for Firmware Updates Ensure that your Chromebook’s firmware is up to date, as updates can sometimes resolve hardware recognition issues.
    Contact Support Since this seems to be a hardware issue, it might require professional repair. If your device is still under warranty, contact Acer support for assistance.
    Avoid using the faulty port to prevent further damage, and do not insert any objects like blue-tack into the port, as this could cause more harm. If the problem persists, it’s best to have the port repaired or replaced by a qualified technician. Remember, attempting repairs on your own could void any existing warranty.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

There have been a lot of different 713 models over the years. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like CP713-xxx-xxxx. It does sound like you have something weird going on though…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • scenicavalon
    scenicavalon Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you both for the reply. As it functions perfectly on the right c-port, I can live with that. Will try the hard reset solution and see what transpires. Again, thank you.