516 GE - I installed Cinnamon Linux on my Acer Chromebook, I need Linux drivers

Options
RobertStephens
RobertStephens Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 11 in Chromebooks

Hello,

I installed Cinnamon Linux on my Acer Chromebook. It works fantastic, but with no sound, and USB-C ports don't work.

Where can I get drivers?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited March 11
    Options

Let’s address the sound issue and the non-functional USB-C ports on your Acer Chromebook running Cinnamon Linux.

Sound Issue:

1. Open the Software Manager.
    2. Search for “pavu” (PulseAudio Volume Control).
    3. If not already installed, install PulseAudio Volume Control.
    4. Reboot your Chromebook.

Hopefully, this will resolve the sound issue. If not, we can explore further options.

USB-C Ports Not Working:

1. Ensure that your USB-C devices are compatible with your Chromebook.
    2. Check if there are any firmware updates available for your Chromebook model.
    3. Verify that the USB-C ports are physically clean and not damaged.
    4. If you’re using a USB-C hub or adapter, test with different ones to rule out compatibility issues.
    5. Check if the USB-C ports work in ChromeOS (if you have dual-boot setup) to determine if it’s a hardware or software issue.

Remember to back up any important data before making changes to your system. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• RobertStephens
    RobertStephens Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Thanks for your fast response, StevenGen. I installed Pulse audio and restarted, but in "audio hardware" it only shows the dummy output. I should mention that I've installed Jack, and I'm using jack with OBS to route audio/video to restream.io with an external audio/video console. That part is working beautifully, but my internal soundcard doesn't work, and I have no idea where to find drivers.

I'm able to charge through USB-C, but external devices are only recognized if I connect to the USB-A port. Ubuntu doesn't find any drivers.

So, I had tried several times to run Linux inside of Chromebook, but it always gave an error creating the container. I then tried to install legacy BIOS to dual-boot. That also failed. Eventually, I used a Suzy-Q cable, re-flashed UEFI and erased the Chromebook system. Ironically, I had to use the SuzyQ cable on the USB-A. It didn't work on USB-C, so I wonder if there's a problem in the UEFI from MrChromebookTech?