Does monitor work from DisplayPort with Thunderbolt? My device is nitro 5 an-515-58

Options
beytullah_caglayan
beytullah_caglayan Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 7 in Nitro Gaming

Hello, I bought a new monitor and I will connect it, but the monitor is 2k 260 hz so I have to connect it with hdmi 2.1 or DisplayPort 1.4. The monitor does not support hdmi 2.1, it is available up to 2.0, so if I buy a DisplayPort converter with thunderbolt 4 (usb-c), can I get an image from my external video card?
my device nitro 5 an-515-58 3070 ti i7 12700h processor

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited March 7
    Options

You can connect your 2K 165Hz refresher rate monitor to the HDMI port but its better to connect the monitor to the TBT4 port in a laptop. Read this guide here, as it explains all the different aspects of connecting your external monitor with which cables "Should You Use HDMI, DisplayPort, or USB-C for a 4K Monitor?" Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,797 Pathfinder
    Options

@beytullah_caglayan

The Thunderbolt 4 port will produce video output, but this port will be connected to the Intel GPU instead of the Nvidia GPU, so the gaming performance won't be as good as connecting directly to the Nvidia GPU.

I'm not really sure if enabling "discrete GPU only" will work or disable the Thunderport video output. You can go to a PC store to test out the adapter to be sure.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • beytullah_caglayan

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, I bought cable for thunderbolt 4 but will my nvdia video card be able to open the mux switch when using thunderbolt 4? When I activate discrete gpu in biostat I get this warning “Type C DisplayPort will not be available in this mode.” I don't want to use hdmi either but I want to use my 3070 ti (dGPU) video card when using thunderbolt 4

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@beytullah_caglayan

Seems like there is no way to use the Nvidia card directly for the Thunderbolt 4 port because that port is an Intel proprietary interface. Turning off the Intel GPU means that the video output from the Thunderbolt port will be disabled also.

Using the HDMI cable is the only way to get the best performance for this, or exchanging the monitor with the one that has an HDMI 2.1 port.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • beytullah_caglayan

Tinkerer

Options

thunderbolt4 supports displayPort. my question is, will I be able to use my 3070 ti video card when I connect a monitor with thunderbolt4?

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@beytullah_caglayan

I'm currently not sure about whether the Thunderbolt port uses the 3070 Ti passing through the Intel GPU or not. If you have the adapter, you can try it to see the result.

• beytullah_caglayan

Tinkerer

Options

I bought an adapter and I will check it when it arrives.