SF514-54GT What am I supposed to do with this "Attention Required" on battery?

Options
hnjanfouzfrjfoa
hnjanfouzfrjfoa Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 15 in Swift and Spin Series

No additional information is available. No option for battery calibration. So, what's next?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,883 Trailblazer
    Options

Just ignore Acer Care messages. If your battery is running low plug in the power adapter. If the battery won't charge to 100% on the battery meter (task bar left) and the amber battery LED never turns blue you may have a bad battery if the battery is more than 4 years old. Run a battery report in the command prompt paste this: powercfg /batteryreport and press Enter. Open the report with Edge and print to "Microsoft PDF". Post the PDF file here with @Puraw at the top.

• hnjanfouzfrjfoa

Tinkerer

Options

It charges but then it falls from 90% to 1% and shuts down in 5 minutes and no warning.
    I was hoping to calibrate the battery - but I can't find a way to do it.

• hnjanfouzfrjfoa

Tinkerer

Options

What can be deducted from the battery report?

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,788 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi @hnjanfouzfrjfoa it is possible that the battery has a problem but the first thing to do is calibrate as you mentioned, if it is not possible from Acer Care Center, you can do it manually, it is a simple and easy process, simply, once the battery is charged, remove the power supply, turn off the WiFi and BT and disconnect any device that has the ethernet cable included if applicable, then close all background applications and set the brightness to minimum, leave it on until the equipment turns off and at that moment, connect the charger to complete the charge and the calibration will have been completed.
    Check the battery behavior again.
    How long has this equipment been used?
    Additionally, please comment on the exact model of the computer and the version of Windows installed.

All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• hnjanfouzfrjfoa

Tinkerer

Options

Is leaving it to discharge is calibrating? How?
    I have never replaced the battery in this computer. I guess it's more than 3 years old.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Yes, charging the battery to the maximum and discharging it is a battery calibration, with this procedure the battery returns to the real values, in addition to doing it manually as I have indicated by charging the battery and letting it discharge slowly, you can also apply the Acer Care Center procedure:

In the event that the battery is in poor condition, you should consult with an authorized Acer service to evaluate the problem and, if applicable, they can perform a battery change after a repair estimate.

All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• hnjanfouzfrjfoa

Tinkerer

Options

The Acer Care Center as shown above doesn't offer the option of battery calibration. As for charging and discharging, it occurs every time I unplug… No calibration happening. It might be an old battery that needs replacement.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

When you completely charge and discharge the battery, a calibration is carried out and the real values are taken again. The fact that the battery is old does not prevent this fact. Another question is that the battery is damaged and needs a change, this must be evaluated by the technical service.

All the best.

X (Twitter)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, a Windows calibration is fairly simple. Start with a full battery, so the indicator is blue. Run it on battery until Windows shuts it down due to low battery, then plug the charger in and wait for a full battery indication again. Each time you do the cycle it will be a bit better with life estimates. If you are still having issues with it going down too quickly after a few calibrations, then we need to look at your battery usage to see if you are just pulling too much power or if the battery itself is bad.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hnjanfouzfrjfoa

Tinkerer

Options

It seems I will have to replace the battery. It's just unreliable. The fact that my computer turns off due to battery running out has nothing to do with how it loads. And it's unpredictable. It can go from 89% to zero in one second.

Where can I find the details of the battery that I need to buy?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Here's a snip from the FRU list:

The KT.00407.008 is Acer's part number for the battery.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.