CPU or motherboard upgrade on my Acer Aspire 1810t?

Options
Yoga670
Yoga670 Member Posts: 3 New User

Currently its on my mind, should I upgrade the CPU to a Intel Core 2 Duo SP9600 from a donating laptop along with a custom BIOS or replace the entire motherboard from a 1810tz?

The laptop is powered by Lubuntu 22.04, Hard drive is a SU650 SSD, 2x2 Gigabyte of DDR2 (still using it OEM from 2009 fresh out of the factory.)

Best Answer

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,811 Pathfinder
    Options

@Yoga670

This model has a soldered CPU so you cannot upgrade the CPU. You can consider replacing it with an 1810TZ motherboard or get another newer laptop instead.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Yoga670
    edited February 27
    Options

@AnhEZ28

Thanks, but I'm still thinking the replacing the CPU to the Intel Core 2 Duo SP9600 (as an option,) since the current Intel Core 2 Solo U3500 CPU have the same socket BGA956. Oh as for the soldered of the CPU, can be desolder the CPU from the socket, since I have the equipment on hand. And also what is the also the model number for the 1810tz motherboard? Since that is a bit more viable option without replacing the BIOS.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,013 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

These are all the mainboards and cpu's listed for the Aspire One 752/1810T/1810TZ/1410, there is no SP9600 cpu listed for these models.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Yoga670
    Options

@StevenGen

Because, I think outside the box. Mostly the Core 2 Duo SP9600 is a high-end CPU model of the main package that Intel offer back in the day. I found it on a third-party website, I also search on other sources, not just one. After confirming that it has the same package (BGA956). I decided want to push it, though the Intel Core 2 Duo SP9600 has significant power draw up to 25 watts, my only concern is the motherboard that it will not handle it well, along with BIOS will not detect the CPU once is installed.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,811 Pathfinder
    Options

@Yoga670

Even if you can replace the CPU, the BIOS will likely not detect the SP9600.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!