Rebuild/GPU drops graphic issues like FPS drops in games in acer predator PO3-620

Options
Viego34
Viego34 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 24 in Predator Desktops

Hi, I am rocking the acer predator PO3-620 and one thing i have realized now after a few years is that even though it has a 3070 it does not feel like it is performing like it has one. I am talking about major graphic issues like FPS drops in games like League of Legends or like when I try to get some good graphics on games like Resident Evil 4 or any other heavy-ish game it seems like it barely hangs on and makes a lot of sound from the PC (can be the stock cooler the CPU has too or the default fans the PC came with). On top of all this, when gaming in full screen it takes ages to tab out which menas i have to play borderless which means i am getting frames drops from there aswell. My questions ultimately; is this expected behaviour since it is a prebuilt and it has some acer original products like the PSU and motherboard or is there a way to get more performance? If it needs new parts, some recommendations would be much appriciated.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

What drive size and type are on your system? How much memory is installed? Which OS are you running? Those all can have some significant effects on system performance…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Viego34
    Viego34 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

So it has 16gb ram and it has around 150gb left out of 1tb ssd. And the os is windows 11 but probably not latest but issue has been around for a while. I think I need to get higher GPU usage somehow.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

I'd think the 16GB is more likely to be a bottleneck than a 3070, but that should be easy to check. Fire up Task Manager or Performance Monitor and look at your memory usage. Anything over about 12GB is going to give you disk swaps, which are much slower than native memory accesses even with a SSD. The 85% usage on the SSD is also a red flag. IIRC the 1TB SSD versions came with a Sandisk SDBPNPZ-1T00, which is either a clone of the WD SN530 or visa versa. That's PCIe 3.0 x4, so should be fast enough. You might think about getting a big data drive and moving storage to it instead of putting everything on the system drive. If you are running under 75% memory usage while gaming then your next step is looking at the GPU, where a 4070 would be a possible upgrade path.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.