Acer Predator Helios 300 Broken Hinge

Options
mcred23
mcred23 Member Posts: 2 New User

I've had this laptop for almost 5 years, and recently, the hinge on the right side above the power hole has broken. It looks like the back of the shell has separated from the front part of it, and it bends a bit when I open or close the laptop. If I hold the hinge, I can still close/open it, but I'd like to try and fix this to prevent it from getting worse or damage the screen.

I know this is a potential wear issue that can happen over time/with heavy use, and that I'm years out of warranty, but there are a few other posts about people with Predators running into it over the years, and I didn't see any that had details or a guide on how to go about fixing it.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,797 Pathfinder
    Options

@mcred23

The screw holes for the hinge had broken off from the opening/closing pressure. You can replace the LCD cover and use a plier to loosen up these bolts just a bit so that I can open the lid lighter and prevent this from breaking again.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • mcred23
    mcred23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the advice @AnhEZ28, I was able to order a replacement cover. Do you know if there is a good set of instructions online or a video on how to take it off and replace it with a new one? I tried checking on YouTube, but much of the stuff that comes up seems to be considerably more involved (Stuff like taking out the battery and fully replacing the screen) than what I need to do here.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,797 Pathfinder
    Options

@mcred23
    Here:

Make sure that the battery is disconnected before unplugging the display cable.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!