CBG516-1H-53TY questions Are the RAM and SSD upgradable?

Options
JMK9753
JMK9753 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 18 in Chromebooks

Hello,

Are the RAM and SSD upgradable? Specs don't mention if SSD is NVME. Are there slots for the RAM? Is it dual channel? Otherwise, it won't run Iris Xe. Will the USB-C port run DisplayPort 1.4? I'm looking for something that will output at least 2160p HDR 60hz. Please confirm 2 USB-C and 1 USB-A.

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited February 18 Answer ✓
    Options

No, the Chromebook CBG516-1H-53TY ram is onboard and soldered to the mainboard and can't be up[graded, this laptop is sold in either 8GB ram versions or 16GB ram versions only. The laptop M.2 drive is upgradeable to 1TB or 2TB M.2 SSD type drive, this laptop has a 1x M.2 drive slot of a PCIe3 two lanes speed (but a PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD drive is compatible also but will work at 50% of its read/write speeds) so be aware of that. Below are all the specs from this laptops Acer SG for your information, good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓
    Options

Glad to help you out and yes allot of the new laptop have onboard ram and are restricted to a capacity that can't be upgraded. If you want an expandable and high-capacity ram laptop buy one of the new Aspire 7 or Aspire 5 or for the gaming the Predator PHN16-71 that has max 64 DR5 ram or the PH16-71 or a Nitro ANV15-51 laptops.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited February 18 Answer ✓
    Options

No, the Chromebook CBG516-1H-53TY ram is onboard and soldered to the mainboard and can't be up[graded, this laptop is sold in either 8GB ram versions or 16GB ram versions only. The laptop M.2 drive is upgradeable to 1TB or 2TB M.2 SSD type drive, this laptop has a 1x M.2 drive slot of a PCIe3 two lanes speed (but a PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD drive is compatible also but will work at 50% of its read/write speeds) so be aware of that. Below are all the specs from this laptops Acer SG for your information, good luck and hope this helps you out.

• JMK9753
    JMK9753 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Thank you very much for the replies to both posts. I won't be buying any laptop w/ soldered RAM. I might take a chance for under $200. Sadly, every brand is doing it to some extent. Just to make them a bit smaller and lighter. They could easily be a brick after the 1-year warranty expires.

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓
    Options

Glad to help you out and yes allot of the new laptop have onboard ram and are restricted to a capacity that can't be upgraded. If you want an expandable and high-capacity ram laptop buy one of the new Aspire 7 or Aspire 5 or for the gaming the Predator PHN16-71 that has max 64 DR5 ram or the PH16-71 or a Nitro ANV15-51 laptops.