Are cooling pad safe? acer predator helios 16 PH16-71,

Ace1gammer
Ace1gammer Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited February 22 in Predator Laptops

This is my laptop Acer Predator Helios 16 Gaming Laptop 13th Gen Intel Core i9 (Windows 11 Home/16 GB RAM/1 TB SSD/NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070) PH16-71, WQXGA Display, Abyssal Black, 2.6 KG

In this laptop is cooling pad safe? Because in Google and YouTube, people are saying cooling pad is not safe

1)It damages laptop sensor making it think it is cool

2)It forces laptop fan to spin more speed causing it to damage my laptop fans .

3)It forces the dust particles to go inside the laptop and damages the thermals and fans

4)It forces more air inside the laptop and damages the internal parts .

5)can carry on stressing the computer.

It it true?

But I want a cooling pad because my laptop temperature is soo high ? If cooling pad is safe , any other suggestions to reduce my laptop heat instead of undervolting it?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Khushwant
    Khushwant Member Posts: 5 New User

YES, THEY ARE CORRECT IN SOME WAY, BUT YOU REALLY DON'T NEED THE COOLING PAD THE LAPTOP ALREADY HAS A GOOD ONE, OR ELSE YOU COULD TRY GIVING SOME HEIGHT FROM THE SURFACE OF ABOUT 3 TO 5 CM WHILE USING IT WILL LEAD TO A HUGE DIFFERENCE .

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,063 Trailblazer

These have been safely used for many years for older laptops with overheating issues, read some of the pros and cons of cooling pads here: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/do-you-need-a-laptop-cooling-pad Internal heat levels were found dropping by as much as 17 degrees centigrade.

• Max_Stone
    Max_Stone Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

YouTube clickbait.

1)It damages laptop sensor making it think it is cool - BS. Thermal sensors are inside the chip package so you cannot trick them. If the package is cooler, the chip is cooler and everyone is happy.

2)It forces laptop fan to spin more speed causing it to damage my laptop fans . BS. Laptop fans can run up to 3,000 rpm so the impulse from an external fan 1-2in away won't damage your laptop fans. The whole idea of a cooling pad is the assist airflow, so if you're running your fans at max speed on a pad, you've got other problems.

3)It forces the dust particles to go inside the laptop and damages the thermals and fans. BS. You'll get dust regardless. It's possible to have less dust as most pads feed the air through a grill.

4)It forces more air inside the laptop and damages the internal parts . BS. Laptops love more air.

5)can carry on stressing the computer. BS. Heat stresses the computer.