Does anyone know how to remove write protection on Acer Chromebook C771T-5603?

Options
StanD
StanD Member Posts: 3 New User

I want to overwrite the firmware of a C771T to allow installation of a full Linux system. I have done this procedure with the Acer Chromebook C740P-C4PE which required removal of a specific screw form the motherboard. The C771T doesn't seem to have such a screw. I'm hoping someone has a solution or can point me in the right direction for this problem.

Attached is a photo of the motherboard. Appologies for the poor resolution.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure, here's an image showing the screw location:

Be sure to disconnect the battery before doing anything internally, then reconnect before powering it back on.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• KJN9000000
    KJN9000000 Member Posts: 400 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Installing a full Linux system on a Chromebook typically involves enabling developer mode and sometimes removing a write-protect screw. However, it seems that not all Chromebooks have a physical write-protect screw. Some models, like the Acer Chromebook C710, have a section of the motherboard that needs to be shorted to remove write protection.
    For the Acer Chromebook C771T-5603, I couldn’t find specific information about a write-protect screw or similar mechanism. However, some Chromebooks allow users to turn on a Beta version of Linux, which lets you install Linux tools, editors, and IDEs. You can also try installing Linux using a method called crouton, which installs Linux in a chroot environment, allowing you to switch between the operating systems without a reboot.
    Please note that these procedures can be risky and might void your warranty. Always back up your data before making such changes. If you’re unsure, it might be best to reach out to Acer’s customer support for guidance.
    Remember, each Chromebook model is different, so what works for one might not work for another.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure, here's an image showing the screw location:

Be sure to disconnect the battery before doing anything internally, then reconnect before powering it back on.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StanD
    StanD Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Thanks! Cookin' on all 4 again!