Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-640 Upgrade can I run DDR5 or does it have to be DDR4

Options
metalcloud
metalcloud Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 8 in Predator Desktops

Specs:

• Windows 11 Home
  • Intel® Core™ i7-12700F processor Dodeca-core 2.10 GHz
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti with 8 GB dedicated memory
  • 16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
  • 1 TB HDD, 1 TB SSD

Doing some upscaling to my rig, swapping the GPU to an ASUS 4070 Ti Super with new EVGA 850W PSU and want to increase RAM from 2x8GB sticks to 2x16GB. I haven't been able to find an answer but can I run DDR5 or does it have to be DDR4, and if so what MHz should I go for?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,986 Trailblazer
    Options

The PO3-640 Intel Cipset B660/ALC897 mainboard operates on a single rail 500W Acer proprietary PSU (that cant be upgraded to a higher power PSU, as they don't make single rail PSUs anymore) and this desktops mainboard ATX_12V plug has an auxiliary 8-pin power connector, and all new PSU these days are 24pin connectors, try the 8pin to 24pin adapter but I can't guarantee that it will work, if you do, then its al at your own risk. The ASUS 4070 Ti Super gpu requires a 600W PSU )the modular type PSU is the best) so the oem Acer 500W PSU will not work and with the EVGA 850 modular PSU make sure that its overall external size is the same as the oem 500W Acer PSU and with the gpu make also sure that its length will also fit into your case, measure the internal spacer inside your PO3-640 desktop first before you buy any of these components, as space is limited in this desktop. Good luck and hope this helps you out

PO3-640 mainboard placemat

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

DDR4 and DDR5 have different configurations physically, so can't be swapped. They won't fit into the wrong socket.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.