Aspire TC-1770-UR12 DVD drive part number needed. The unit suppose to come with DVD but it dont have

Options
rm31859
rm31859 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello all, I have just purchased a new TC-1770-UR12 desktop through Fingerhut. According to both Fingerhut's and Acer's websites, this computer is supposed to come with a DVD drive. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until after I had spent well over an hour going through the setup procedure that there was no DVD drive installed. There was an installation kit that came with a bezel, a power cable, and two data cables in the box but no drive. According to the Acer tech, This computer doesn't come from the factory with a DVD drive installed. He said the retailer is responsible for suppling and installing the drive. Acer is not going to fix this and I know Fingerhut won't fix it so I guess I'm going to have to buy one and install it myself. Does anyone know the make and part number of a compatible DVD drive?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Any of the slimline drives will work, the stock drive, which should have been included in the UR12 SKU, is a DVD writer without Blue Ray. It sounds like Fingerhut screwed up and either shipped you a different SKU or sent you some sort of refurbished system… :( I typically don't bother with optical drives on my systems any longer, a flash drive holds so much more data.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

So the sticker that has your serial number, the SNID and the model number shows it is a TC-1770-UR12 and not something slightly different for those last four digits? If so then you are likely correct.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Any of the slimline drives will work, the stock drive, which should have been included in the UR12 SKU, is a DVD writer without Blue Ray. It sounds like Fingerhut screwed up and either shipped you a different SKU or sent you some sort of refurbished system… :( I typically don't bother with optical drives on my systems any longer, a flash drive holds so much more data.

• rm31859
    Options

Thanks for the response. This computer was shipped directly from Acer so All Fingerhut did was processed the order and sent it to Acer to be fulfilled. Apparently the specs that Fingerhut has for this computer was taken directly from Acer's website so I blame Acer for this.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

So the sticker that has your serial number, the SNID and the model number shows it is a TC-1770-UR12 and not something slightly different for those last four digits? If so then you are likely correct.

• rm31859
    Options

There is no difference in anything. I talked to Acer sales and the rep I talked to was very helpful. He provided me with the phone numbers to two of Acer's trusted parts suppliers and I was able to purchase the correct drive. It cost me $88.00 and I'm going to have to pay a local tech to install it because if I do, It will void the warranty. That's going to be another $75.00. This whole experience has turned me against anything Acer. If i have to buy another computer before I die, It will be either an HP or Dell.

• JH122
    JH122 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited March 6
    Options

You might want to try this. For Acer Aspire E15 ES1-512 9mm CD DVD DVD±RW Burner Writer Drive GUC0N Tested. I found the drive on Ebay. It works perfectly with the kit included with a new PC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274593944965