Can I use a preformatted win11 HDD twice (one pc at a time)?Acer 1760

yosef99
yosef99 Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

ME: Acer 1760 win11/Ubuntu mate dual boot

I am buying a 1 TB SSD for my Acer 1760. This SSD comes with Win11 installed. If I install this SSD on my Acer win11 will activate. Now what if that computer dies? Will I be able to install SSD (win11) on another PC, or will Win11 only activate on the first computer I install it?

Thank you for your response.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• KJN9000000
    KJN9000000 Member Posts: 398 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

It should be dependent on the Product key and it is usually connected to your Microsoft account. You may have to do a clean/fresh install on the new system due to hardware changes but the product key should work just fine to activate the operating system on the new computer. In some cases logging in to your Microsoft account will activate the OS.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

Typically with OEM installs of Windows, the license is held by the hardware, so you can't legally transfer it to a different machine. If it's retail version of Windows 11 you hold the license and you can run it on any machine you want, but only on one at a time.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 12,934 Trailblazer

Hi @yosef99 I just want to provide one more information to that mentioned by colleagues, as Billsey says, you can only use it on another computer if the license is commercial and not an OEM, but if it is commercial, it will not be enough to remove the disk and place it on another computer, you must install again.
    If you use the same Microsoft account from your old computer on a new computer, you may not be prompted to enter your commercial license key.

All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • joseph2020
    joseph2020 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you to all responders…I think get it now. Topic is closed.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 12,934 Trailblazer

Thanks to you, greetings.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)