NitroSense and ThrottleStop temperatures rarely does it show a higher temperature.

Options
Johnny132
Johnny132 Member Posts: 66 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited January 30 in Acer Software

Hello, I use NitroSense and ThrottleStop, when playing Nitro it shows 92 degrees, and in ThrottleStop it shows 96 degrees and usually Nitro shows 92, rarely does it show a higher temperature. As for temperatures, should we rely more on the NitroSense program?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited January 30 Answer ✓
    Options

Nitro Sense is an integrated software in Acer Nitro 5 laptops. It allows users to regulate the intensity of the two dedicated fans built into Nitro 5 computers. One fan is for the processor (CPU) and the other is for the video card (GPU). NitroSense software also allows you to monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures, as well as adjust fan speed and power plan settings. While ThrottleStop is a 3rd party software and its not accurate.

Depends on your Nitro laptops model but a 92°C temp while playing games is normal as the nitro temps are basically set at these temps:

• CPU PROCHOT on at 98°C
    • GPU PROCHOT off at 85°C
    • OS shut down at CPU 100°C and GPU 96°C

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• unclewebb
    unclewebb Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

While ThrottleStop is a 3rd party software and its not accurate.

That statement is not true.

ThrottleStop works at a higher Windows priority compared to NitroSense and most other monitoring software. That is the reason why ThrottleStop is able to report the most accurate peak core temperatures. When a CPU is busy, ThrottleStop is always first in line to get temperature data from the CPU cores. Other monitoring programs that run at the default Windows Normal priority do not get the same timely access to the CPU core temperature register the way ThrottleStop does.

ThrottleStop has been thoroughly tested against all of the other popular monitoring programs. You can trust the temperature data that is being reported by ThrottleStop.

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited January 30 Answer ✓
    Options

Nitro Sense is an integrated software in Acer Nitro 5 laptops. It allows users to regulate the intensity of the two dedicated fans built into Nitro 5 computers. One fan is for the processor (CPU) and the other is for the video card (GPU). NitroSense software also allows you to monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures, as well as adjust fan speed and power plan settings. While ThrottleStop is a 3rd party software and its not accurate.

Depends on your Nitro laptops model but a 92°C temp while playing games is normal as the nitro temps are basically set at these temps:

• CPU PROCHOT on at 98°C
    • GPU PROCHOT off at 85°C
    • OS shut down at CPU 100°C and GPU 96°C

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• unclewebb
    Answer ✓
    Options

While ThrottleStop is a 3rd party software and its not accurate.

That statement is not true.

ThrottleStop works at a higher Windows priority compared to NitroSense and most other monitoring software. That is the reason why ThrottleStop is able to report the most accurate peak core temperatures. When a CPU is busy, ThrottleStop is always first in line to get temperature data from the CPU cores. Other monitoring programs that run at the default Windows Normal priority do not get the same timely access to the CPU core temperature register the way ThrottleStop does.

ThrottleStop has been thoroughly tested against all of the other popular monitoring programs. You can trust the temperature data that is being reported by ThrottleStop.

• StevenGen
    Options

How can it be? As the Nitro Sense is specially designed by Acer for the Nitro laptops by Acer and Acer makes a different version Nitro Sense for every Nitro laptop, while throttlestop is just a basic software, very strange if you believe that. Anyway, you can use whichever you want I've used Nitro Sense and its never had problems and has given me good readings and its coolboost has worked perfectly to cool the cpu/gpu in gaming.

• unclewebb
    Options

How can it be?

My previous answer explained why ThrottleStop is more accurate compared to its competition.

Your belief that NitroSense is the one and only program that can read temperature data from an Intel CPU is wrong. The programmers of NitroSense do not have access to any exclusive Intel temperature information.

Volume 4 of Intel's Software Developer Manuals fully documents how to read temperature data from the IA32_THERM_STATUS register. Intel has been using this same register for the last 15+ years for all of their Core i processors.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/intel-sdm.html

The only difference between monitoring programs happen when a CPU core is busy. NitroSense fails at reading the peak core temperature because it is running at a lower Windows priority compared to ThrottleStop. The lower temperature numbers that NitroSense displays might make you feel good but they are not as accurate as the peak temperatures that ThrottleStop reports.

• Johnny132
    Johnny132 Member Posts: 66 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

I understand, thank you very much for your answers, I have always wondered about this difference of 4-5 degrees.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

Application priority wouldn't make any difference to the numbers displayed, only to the speed in which they show up. I'd expect a higher priority like that would distract from game play, since it would tend to step on the game process in order to read temperatures. Not that I have any pony in the race…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.