CP513-1H issue.Once more random mouse clicks,Randomly tabs are activated, apps open

Options
Hefaistos68
Hefaistos68 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 22 in Chromebooks

This seems a problem since 2017 on all chromebooks of any make. Randomly tabs are activated, screen items appear clicked on, apps open, etc. Like someone is silently clicking randomly around on the screen.

I have looked through dozens of posts on many forums and support groups, disabled all touch screen options, changed and removed my external mouse, reset the system, updated all updateable software and system, the issue continues. And its driving me crazy. On some days its rare, on other its impossible to work at all.

No, nothing is touching the touchpad, nothing is touching the screen, just simple mouse work on different apps. I tried wireless mouse, usb mouse, no-mouse using the touchscreen only.

There are hundreds of complaints about this issue on every chromebook makers help site.

How can this be resolved on my Acer Chromebook CP513-1H ????

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Which version of the OS are you running? What happens when you disable the touchpad and connect an external mouse? If you open the laptop is there any swelling visible on the battery? What about the screen? IIRC yours has a touchscreen, is there enough gunk on it that it might trigger touches?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hefaistos68
    Hefaistos68 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 23
    Options

OS 120.0.6099.235 latest available, touch screen is as clean as it gets, no swelling, no damages.

tried disabling the touchpad, but none of the methods I found googling did actually work. I did disable all auto-click options and other touchpad related options.

Tried 3 different external mouses, wired and wireless.

Its doing this since the beginning, in varying frequency. some days its not at all, others I cant work at all.

I have seen similar reports since 2017 on Dell, HP and other brands, so this seems to be an issue that is not limited to a single device or brand.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, that tends to point at it being an issue with the OS itself, rather than hardware. I haven't seen it with any of my Chromebooks, but I don't spend as much time on them as I could…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.