Acer Chromebook 315 Will Not Recognize External Monitor in Display Settings & Scaling is An Issue

Options
Califteacher
Califteacher Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 18 in Chromebooks

When I connect my Acer Chromebook 315 to an external monitor, the image is shown on both devices automatically, but on an enlarged scale. Both the laptop and the Viewsonic LED 1080p 21-inch monitor show the same Chromebook image, but the image is about 25% larger than the screen size can accommodate. The quality and resolution seem good. When I unplug the connection to the external monitor, the image on the Chromebook goes back to normal.

A compounding issue is that the external display is not shown in the display settings on the Chromebook, so it is not being recognized. Therefore, I cannot carry out any of the online suggestions for scaling issues or making the two images compatible. I also tried using an Asus 27-inch monitor using a USB-C to HMDI connection, with the identical results. Both devices are set to the same 1920x1080 resolution.

I am using a Benfei USB-C to VGA connection device for the Viewsonic monitor and the same device using the USB-C to HDMI connection for the Asus monitor. The connection device is a BENFEI 4-in-1 USB-C Hub - HDMI, VGA, USB Adapters & Power Delivery purchased on Amazon.

Questions: Is my connection device the problem in not getting the Chromebook to recognize the external display? Or does the trouble lie with the Chromebook? I downloaded all the recent updates.

Again, I see the mirror image on the external monitor, but it is too large of a scale to fit on the screen of either device.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options

Sorry, the CP315 USBC video appears to only natively support alternate mode DisplayPort output signals, not VGA or HDMI signals. For this, you need an active USBC-2-HDMI or VGA signal converter. I believe the Benfei's are relatively inexpensive passive USB-2-HDMI or VGA form-factor adapters, not fully compatible signal converters. The specsheets recommends the HDMI & VGA signal converters shown in the right pane for your ChromeBook.

Jack E/NJ