Why doesn't the Acer 1770 front USB read a 128 Gb Flash drive? There are no errors

Options
PHK
PHK Member Posts: 7 New User

Have a new ACER TC-1770 Desk top PC It is not reading the Front USB-A port with a 128 GB flash drive, but any of the ones in the back read this same drive when used? Anyone seen this issue. There are no errors on the in the Device Manager on these USB ports.

Thanks for the help

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,442 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

I'd delete an re-install the driver for that port. I'm assuming that the stick is OK on the other ports.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

It shouldn't matter what format the flash drive is in, FAT32, exFAT, NTFS, except the normal limitations like 4GB maximum file size with FAT32. Do other USB devices work on the front port? Is there anything stopping the flash drive from being fully inserted?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PHK
    Options

I've removed the USB drivers and rebooted the machine, and still doesn't work. Nothing is stopping the stick from being inserted all in. funny thing is that If I insert the drive in the rear USB it will work. Also I can use another drive in that front port and it will work just fine.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    Options

If that happens then its not the front USB port of the desktop is faulty, its the actual USB pen drive has a connection fault.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• PHK
    Options

if I move the drive to the rear port, it will be seen, and I then have access to the drive. Thought it was the port but other thumb drives work in that port.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    Options

The front port might be a different USB constructed port and it somehow not making a 100% connection with your USB pen drive. If you look at the mainboard USB ports they are better constructed to the fron USB ports, you just have a bad front USB port on your TC-1770 desktop that only connects to certain USB plugs inserted into them.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• SteveRaff
    SteveRaff Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

One other thing to try is re-seating the front-side USB connector on the motherboard. It should be number 12 in billsey's diagram.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,442 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

You may just have one of those odd happenings that the drive wont match to the port. Transfer to a new 128 flash and try it .

I've had unexplained things like that ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

The front USB ports are soldered to the motherboard, between 9 & 10 and just under 10 in the diagram. Sometimes the front bezel plastic sticks out slightly farther than the edge of the port, so a wide device may not seat fully.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.