My Acer Aspire z1-611 AIO will not boot. Solution?

Options
GraWin4321
GraWin4321 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 13 in All-In-One PCs

I have just been given it so know nothing about it.

It is an Aspire z1-611

on power up it gives the message:

Reboot and select proper Boot Device

Does this mean the hard drive is not being recognized or is corrupt?

Can I recover it or just put the PC into the recycling bin?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,889 Trailblazer
    Options

It could be a bad HDD or the bootloader is corrupt, You can take out the HDD, mount the drive in an external USB HDD case and copy your data to another PC. Then check the external HDD for errors. If no issues with the HDD, replace the HDD and try to restore the bootloader or clean install Windows10 with a USB stick and ISO file.

• GraWin4321
    Options

Thanks, not sure I am able to that, but will see if I have a spare slot on my desktop pc which I could plug in the hard drive and run some diagnostics on.

• GraWin4321
    Options

well I have managed to remove the hard drive and attach it to my other PC, but it just won't recognise it. Time to throw the PC away ? or is there another way of recovering hard drive? (there is nothing I need on the hard drive, other than an operating system.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    edited January 15
    Options

Your Aspire Z1-611 came with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 from the factory, so it uses an UEFI boot loader. That message appears when the system is done with POST (Power On Self Test) and is getting ready to load the OS. Typically it's seen when the drive has failed or if the EFI partition is corrupt. You can boot from a Windows install USB flash drive and look at the main drive using diskpart. If it doesn't appear or you can't read data from the partitions then likely the drive is bad. Best bet at that point is to replace the drive with a new 2.5" SSD and reinstall the Windows 10 OS. No need to throw the AIO away, unless you just don't have enough desk space. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.