ASPIRE XC-1760 CPU UPGRADE, looking to upgarde the cpu to the 13th gen intel chips or the i9 12900

moddedxc1760
moddedxc1760 Member Posts: 1 New User

hi everyone just wanted to know if anyone has tried upgrading the cpu to the 13th gen intel chips or the i9 12900 non k i have upgraded the psu from the stock liteon 180w unit to an fsp 500w unit so power is not an issue and i think i can get a better heatsink for it as there seems to be atleast 30mm to spare im not planning to upgrade from the i5 12400 that is currently in just would like to know for future reference

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer

> >or the i9 12900 non k > >

The I5-12400 is an AlderLake CPU. Mainboard is generally compatible with same 12th generation GA1700 socket AlderLake CPU. Accordingly, the I9-12900K is probably a safer bet than either the 12th gen non-K or a 13th gen CPU.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Although the BIOS will not unlock any of the K features. You are likely better off to just use the i7-12700 (or F if you have a GPU card). The extra four cores aren't likely justified by the extra cost. A 13th gen will not work.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer

i9-12900K ALDS is cheaper than the non-K. Still a safer bet.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Weird, they must have a bunch of the K processors in the channel still to drive the price down. The K requires close to double the power of the normal so would require a cooling system revamp.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.