n-key rollover on nitro 5 AN515-58, The '2' key not registering. Its annoying while gaming

Options
iiJelle
iiJelle Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited January 15 in Nitro Gaming

Hello everyone,

My laptop model is Nitro 5 AN515-58
As soon as I hit the keys; control, w and 2, it does not register the '2' key. This becomes quite annoying when gaming. I'd expect a better keyboard for a laptop I have paid 1200 euros for.

My 3 questions are then;
1 Can this be fixed, for example by updating software?
2 Do people have the same problem who have nitro 5.
3 Can this be fixed by replacing my keyboard with a better one from my laptop? Or do I really need an external keyboard, which I definitely don't want.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,560 Trailblazer
    Options

Go to this link and test to see if the combination reliably registers or not, preferably with FireFox.

Jack E/NJ

• iiJelle

Tinkerer

edited January 12
    Options

Thank you for your time and response, Jack.

No, it does not register either 2, w or control depending on what combination I hold in first.

Edit: I have gone to that link with FireFox

• JackE
    Options

Same with Chrome?

Jack E/NJ

• iiJelle

Tinkerer

Options

Yes, same results with chrome

• JackE
    Options

> > '2' key not registering > >

Does '2' key work reliably by itself in this test?

Jack E/NJ

• iiJelle

Tinkerer

Options

I couldn't post a picture in here sadly, so I have to describe it;

I can press any key with the '2' key, except for the key 'w' (I could press control, q, a, s, d, e and 2 all at once. But pressing the w key with 2 and control just doesn't work in any way shape or form. If I press control, w and 2 at the same time, 1 of the 3 does not work. For example; If I first press control and then w, the '2' key does not work. If I first press 2 and then w, the 'control' key does not work. If I press control and then 2, the 'w' key does not work. Other combinations, such as
    -shift, w and 2 works

-control, w and 1 works

-control, q and 2 works. etc etc.

Only the combination of control w and 2 does not work, which I find very annoying, and therefore also essential when gaming.

I hope I have informed you sufficiently, because I understand that it is difficult to understand.
    Thanks again for your time and effort

Edit: grammar mistakes

• iiJelle

Tinkerer

Options

I tried to upload a photo here, but I think it didn't came through. Basically I tried showing you how I could press any key with control and 2; I could press control, 2, q, a, s, d and e at the same time, and they all registered. So I can press any key with the '2' key, except w. This just doesn't work in any way shape or form. If I press control, w and 2 at the same time, 1 of the 3 does not work. For example; If I first press control and then w, the '2' key does not work. If I first press 2 and then w, the 'control' key does not work. If I press control and then 2, the 'w' key does not work. Other combinations, such as;

-Shift, w and 2 works

-Control, w and 1 works.

-Control, q and 2 works. etc etc.

Only the combination of control, w and 2 does not work, which I find very annoying, and therefore also essential for gaming.

I hope I have informed you sufficiently, because I understand that it is difficult to understand.
    Thanks again for your time and effort

• JackE
    Options

> > Only the combination of control, w and 2 does not work > >

OK. If 'W' & '2' work OK independently, a m ic rosoft contributor suggested disabling the in-game overlay option in the nVidia Experience general settings tab. Then reboot. Not sure what effect it'll have on other game parts though. You'll just have to try it and see.

Jack E/NJ

• iiJelle

Tinkerer

Options

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that solves my problem either.

My own ideas about this problem are that my keyboard is of poor quality and that there is an n-key rollover on that combination of keys. But of course I could also be wrong, because I'm certainly not an expert. What do you think?

• JackE
    Options

Might be related to keyboard language/regional settings.

Search Windows start menu 'edit language'. Click 'edit language & keyboard options' near top of start menu. Click 'keyboard' under language. What keyboard options are available?

Jack E/NJ

• iiJelle

Tinkerer

edited January 13
    Options

Sorry, I don't follow these steps exactly. I can't find 'keyboard' under the tab language.

Edit: But if I have to guess what you mean; I have my keyboard language on 'United states International'. And my system language in Dutch.

• JackE
    Options

Search Windows start menu 'sticky keys' . Or maybe 'plakkerig sleutels' in Nederland? Does turning on sticky keys in order to press one key at a time work?

Jack E/NJ

• iiJelle

Tinkerer

Options

Well, I don't know, I think I can. Whenever I press control, the sticky key is turning off whenever I press 2. But it doesnt turn off when I press 'w' first, but that would close my tab. So I can't really know if control + w + 2 works with sticky keys. (Control + w is a shortcut for closing my browser).

(Using the website tool u gave me)

• JackE
    Options

What happens with EDGE browser?

Jack E/NJ

• iiJelle

Tinkerer

Options

Quite the same, but either way I'd not prefer using sticky keys as a temporairly solution, since my control is essential for a specific type of movement in a game.

• JackE
    Options

Press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. What is the Insyde BIOS version number in the right pane?

Jack E/NJ

• iiJelle

Tinkerer

Options

BIOS-versie/datum Insyde Corp. V2.10, 7-7-2023
    SMBIOS-versie 3.3

• JackE
    Options

I searched back through the Acer Nitro5 forums for this key combination issue. Other users have reported exactly the same experience as you for this series at this link. No resolution seems to have been posted yet.

I suspect this annoyance is due to the BIOS firmware. While the firmware developers might eventually address the issue, we Acer forum users have no way of telling when or even if this might happen.

A workaround may be possible by experimenting with Windows Keyboard Manager utility if you haven't done so already. It's part of Micr osoft's free Power Toys download & installation described in this link. I haven't experimented with the Keyboard Manager utility. So I can't be of much help in how it might be used to at least reduce the inconvenience. You'll just have to try. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

VHave you tried updating the bios?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options

Seems to have the latest installed BIOS-versie/datum Insyde Corp. V2.10, 7-7-2023

Jack E/NJ