TC-885 desktop will not boot up, it said the CMOS battery was probably bad. Solution?

k6eid
k6eid Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited January 10 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have been using this PC for a few years. Yesterday when I started it, I got the ACER opening screen with the info on F1 etc. After a very long while, it opened a DOS screen that said the CMOS battery was probably bad. Is there any way I can get it to boot up (getting around the CMOS problem)?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited January 10 Answer ✓

Hey k6eid, you are never too old😂 to change a battery, as replacing this battery is really easy, I'm in my 70's and I can do this with my eyes closed🤣. First turn off the desktop and unplug the power cord from the mains power, open the side cover and follow the guide below.

Note: the RTC Battery in the caption below is the CMOS battery from the TC-885 desktop a KTS Lithium Battery type CR2032 which is a very common battery that you can buy at any good convince store. Once you remove the old battery you need to short the +&- pins of the battery case/plug on the mainboard to reset CMOS and then put the new battery into the case/plug, which is a very simple thing to do.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Why not install a new battery ?

• k6eid

Im pretty old and am leery about messing with the insides of the PC.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited January 10 Answer ✓

Hey k6eid, you are never too old😂 to change a battery, as replacing this battery is really easy, I'm in my 70's and I can do this with my eyes closed🤣. First turn off the desktop and unplug the power cord from the mains power, open the side cover and follow the guide below.

Note: the RTC Battery in the caption below is the CMOS battery from the TC-885 desktop a KTS Lithium Battery type CR2032 which is a very common battery that you can buy at any good convince store. Once you remove the old battery you need to short the +&- pins of the battery case/plug on the mainboard to reset CMOS and then put the new battery into the case/plug, which is a very simple thing to do.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• k6eid

What kind of s crews are there? Isn't Philiips or Flatbead/

• Larryodie

2 Phillips screws and it slides backward.

This video shows how to take the cover off and back on. I didn't see the battery as it's near the back bottom (I think)

• k6eid

What tool do I need to unscrew the 2 screws on the rear cover?

• Larryodie

Phillips Screw Driver.

Watch the 1st part of the video. UNPLUGGED and lay down on the side as he does. Also notice when he installs the cover.

You may need to take to a computer store if you don't feel confident.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Use a #2 phillips, that will fit the screws the best. a #1 will work in a pinch, but the smaller head tends to round out the corners.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.