Acer Predator Orion 3000-650 The power supply/power makes noise even when the computer is turned off

Options
Tess76
Tess76 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 9 in Predator Desktops
Bought new computer Acer Predator Orion 3000-650 i7-13/16/2TB/4060Ti desktop gaming computer. The power supply/power made noise even when the computers were turned off so I reported the computer as I thought something was wrong. I got a new one. The new computer sounds the same. Does it feel strange that it sounds when the computer is turned off? Should it be like this, is it normal for it to sound?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited January 9
    Options

The Predator Orion PO3-650 desktop has a proprietary Acer mainboard and is fitted either with either a 500W or a 750W PSU so it aint the highest of quality PSU like the modular high end PSU available on the market today, so don’t expect a top of the range PSU in your PO3-650 desktop is a prebuilt, as unfortunately you can’t upgrade to a top end modular PSU, that all have a 24pin mainboard connectors and they will not connect to this desktops mainboard.

If you are still worried about the noise, read this article “Power Supply Making Buzzing Noise – Why & How to Fix it” as some PSUs making a noise could culminate into being a fire hazard and/or a danger to its user. Hope this helps you out.

PO3-650 Acer proprietary PSU

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,757 Trailblazer
    Options

That noise is normal, the power supply keeps standby power connected to the motherboard so things like Windows fast startup work, as well as wake on LAN, etc..

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Tess76
    Tess76 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Many thanks for reply.