Restart and pcie gpu issues with a aspire xc605 There is no option in bios to change igpu to gpu .

Carlos198
Carlos198 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi all I got a aspire XC605 small pc. I installed a i5 4460 and 8 gigs of brand new ram amd installed windows 10 home in it.

First thing I noticed was after entering the bios and hitting the save and restart option the computer attempts to restart. I see the hard drive light activity but no video. I also have the same thing happen when I restart from windows I see the resarting message and the it shuts off screen goes black but never comes back on. It looks like it starts but no video.

Another symptom is when the pc goes to sleep video will not come back on. It does seem like it wakes up cause the hard drive activity light starts blinking again.

I wonder if this is a hardware issue with the video cause I have also tried to install a dedicated gpu but I will not get video from the card. Again it looks like the pc is working properly but no video.

I have tried a gt 220 with a dedicated fan and the fan does turn on but no video from the gpu or the motherboard video.

I also tried a 5450 but again same symtoms.

I have tried changing bios settings to default.

And have updated the bios to the latest on the acer site.

There is no option in bios to change igpu to gpu .

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited January 8

You need to make sure that all Win-10 updates are installed and all Intel drivers are installed. best is to install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and do a scan and make sure that the latest chipset and proper Intel drivers graphics driver are installed, also and if you upgraded to the i5-4460 cpu's (which is not an oem cpu) see if there are any problems with the upgraded i5-4460 cpu and its graphics, as the top spec XC-605 desktop came oem from Acer with either the i5-4440 or the i7-4770 cpu's that all have the integrated HD4600 graphics, that should be working 100% to give you an image. Also use the Acer oem fitted NVidia GT620 or a GT625 gpu card and see if your XC-605 works with that, as the GT220 is a very old card and its not compatible with your desktop.

Also, check the HDD and even upgrade to a 2.5" SSD instead of the 3.5" spinner HDD, also check the PSU if its working 100% and if it hasn't got any problems, which could be where all your problems come from.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Acers typically do not support simultaneous use of internal and external GPUs. When a GPU card is inserted, the internal graphics is disabled.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Carlos198
    Carlos198 Member Posts: 2 New User

yeah that is usualy the case but my problem is that there is no video from the gpu when the gpu is installed.

I connect video cable, tried all outputs, vga, dvi hdmi, nothing works. I have tried multiple cards.

There is one card that does something diffenrent though. tHe nvidia gt220 will still not give video but the is video from the hdmi connector on the motherboard.

I am thinking there is a hardware issue cause the restart/sleep problem still happening.

I tried reinstallnig windows 10 again but it failed with a messaging coul dn ot finish installation, something to do with not beable to restart.