Upgrade Acer Nitro 50 n50-650. Rtx 4060 + i5 13400f want to insert another more powerful video card

HeroSzz90
HeroSzz90 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 4 in Nitro Gaming

Hi, I purchased the Acer Nitro 50 N50-650 gaming desktop computer a few days ago. The PC has these components:

i5 : 13400f

Rtx : 4060 8GB

16gb ram : ddr4 3200mhz

1 SSD 512GB

power supply : 500w

MotherBoard : intel b760

I want to insert another more powerful video card, what can I insert? I was thinking about an RTX 4070 or AMD RX 7800XT. Can I put these cards? Which video card would be best to use to get more fps when gaming?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The Nitro N50-650 desktop is Acer's newest Nitro prebuilt desktop and its 500W SINGLE-RAIL ATX_12V - 8-pin PSU is a proprietary Acer PSU that can't be upgraded as Acer does not make a higher output PSU that can power a gpu like the NVidia RTX4070 needs, which is 650W, so unfortunately you are stuck with the RTX4060 (which btw is a great gpu for gaming).

Upgrade the ram to 64GB 4x 16GB DDR4-3200MHz and use a high end PCIe4x4 M.2 SSD drive like the Samsung 990 NVMe M.2 as doing that will improve this desktop gaming capabilities greatly or editing potential capabilities too.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓

The Nitro N50-650 desktop is Acer's newest Nitro prebuilt desktop and its 500W SINGLE-RAIL ATX_12V - 8-pin PSU is a proprietary Acer PSU that can't be upgraded as Acer does not make a higher output PSU that can power a gpu like the NVidia RTX4070 needs, which is 650W, so unfortunately you are stuck with the RTX4060 (which btw is a great gpu for gaming).

Upgrade the ram to 64GB 4x 16GB DDR4-3200MHz and use a high end PCIe4x4 M.2 SSD drive like the Samsung 990 NVMe M.2 as doing that will improve this desktop gaming capabilities greatly or editing potential capabilities too.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• HeroSzz90

Tinkerer

Thank you very much for the advice, so I'll keep this video card, I'll add the RAM as you recommended and also the SSD you mentioned, thank you very much, you're super kind, I'll let you know if the performance is better!

• HeroSzz90

Tinkerer

sorry, another question, if in the future I want to put an RTX 4070, just put a more powerful power supply? Can you recommend a power supply for the RTX 4070?

• StevenGen
    edited January 5

To upgrade to a higher spec gaming gpu like an RTX4070 or higher spec NVidia or AMD type gpu, you will need a new mainboard with the standardized 24-pin ATX power mainboard plug, so that you can fit an appropriate modular PSU like the excellent Corsair AX range or similar of PSU's. The oem N50-650 mainboard 500W single rail power supply with its none standardized 8-pin mainboard power plug can't be upgraded or there are no single rail PSUs on the market like a 650W or above to upgrade to that you will need for the RTX4070 and above gpu's, as its specifically made for the Acer N50-650 desktop.

• HeroSzz90

Tinkerer

hi, I decided to follow your advice and add Samsung 980 nvme m.2 ssd and add RAM, you recommended 4x8 GB RAM, but the motherboard only has 2 RAM slots

• HeroSzz90

Tinkerer

Samsung 989 nvme m.2 ssd purchased, can you recommend some RAM to buy?

• StevenGen
    edited January 6

Below is the official list from the Acer SG for the N50-650 desktop ram specs and modules types that Acer recommends. But and if you want this desktop max total ram of 64GB into this desktops 2x slots then I don't know how Acer can only recommend a max capacity of a 16GB module, as 2x 16GB = 32GB and they recommend 64GB 😁so Acer does NOT recommend any 32GB DDR4-3200MHz ram modules for this desktop, which is very confusing and strange?

The best thing for you to do is to go to the Crucial memory site and do their System Scan for your desktop or have a look at a scan that has already been done for your Acer NITRO N50-650 RAM & SSD Upgrades and if you want the max capacity ram, use their suggested Crucial 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR4-3200 UDIMM - DDR4-3200 • CL=22 • NON-ECC • UDIMM • 288-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8 • PC4-25600 at USD $153.99 for your desktop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Acer OEM RAM specs and some types of modules for the Nitro N50-650 desktop: