should I "update" or "redo" Rescue Boot Media updating TC885 or 'creating' a new set on thumbdrive

ConradP
ConradP Member Posts: 4 New User

I created my Rescue Boot Media (USB) about a year ago. My machine has had LOTS of software updates/patches since then; should I "update" or "redo" my Rescue Boot Media to account for those? If so, how? By simply 'creating' a new set on the same thumbdrive, overwriting the older data? Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Acer's Rescue disk is created from the factory image from the drive. It is suggested that one be created, so if the drive fails you can drop a new drive in and get the original software load back, without buying the factory media from Acer. The Windows Recovery disk provides an install environment for putting a vanilla Windows back on a system that has failed. It's used in concert with a file history backup to restore data, but not apps. There is also the original Windows 7 backup in Windows that will backup and restore everything, including data and programs… Best practice is to create a Rescue disk when you first get the machine, then use any of several backup programs to do a full backup on a regular basis.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey

Nope, the rescue boot media would still match the original load. What you want is a separate backup to capture the current state.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ConradP

An "outside" backup, like my regular Macrium Reflect ones? Or some special internal Acer Rescue backup? It sounds like you may be saying a RBM just gets the machine back into basic running shape, leaving it to me to restore everything else (OS updates, programs) via my external HDD? Thanks….

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,804 Trailblazer

I am not familiar with Rescue disk, only know Windows Recovery disk that is made with any Windows OS by typing Recovery disk in Search, with a 20GB USB flash drive inserted, takes 40 minutes to create. Yes, you need to make a new one after major Windows upgrades, after Reset this PC or yearly whatever comes first.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Here is a clean install or go to safe mode and do a restore.

Note the clean install will format the disk so you need the original store bought install disk to save your programs, the data can be backed up to a external drive then recopied.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• ConradP

Larryodie: That wasn't the question I asked. And my question is 'proactive'…BEFORE anything blows up.

Puraw: If you don't know about Acer's "Rescue Disk" then how are you going to answer a question about it?

• billsey
    Answer ✓

Acer's Rescue disk is created from the factory image from the drive. It is suggested that one be created, so if the drive fails you can drop a new drive in and get the original software load back, without buying the factory media from Acer. The Windows Recovery disk provides an install environment for putting a vanilla Windows back on a system that has failed. It's used in concert with a file history backup to restore data, but not apps. There is also the original Windows 7 backup in Windows that will backup and restore everything, including data and programs… Best practice is to create a Rescue disk when you first get the machine, then use any of several backup programs to do a full backup on a regular basis.

• ConradP

Thanks, billsey….that "more verbose" answer was what I needed- that Rescue just gets the machine reset and thus ready for the latest full image I make regularly.

• billsey

Glad I could help.