Problems with front Camera on Chromebook 512 Spin. he green light is on, yet the screen is dark

Options
FlyingGeese
FlyingGeese Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Chromebooks

Hello,

My Acer Chromebook is using the most current update, Version 119.0.6045.214.

The front camera is not working properly. The green light is on, yet the screen is dark. Curiously, the back camera works without problems.

In Security and Privacy settings: toggle switch is on for camera access (front camera 04f2:b74a)

I have enabled as many permissions as I can in specific apps and in Android permissions

, but one screen concerns me. It does not allow me to change any settings.

Where can I go, and what can I do to resolve this? A powerwash is my last resort and a time consuming one which I'd like to avoid.

Thank you for your time and effort.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,110 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are several different Chromebook Spin 512 models. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like R856Tx-xxx-xxxx. The differences between the different models may not affect your question however… On most of the R856T models the camera at the top of the screen has a shutter for privacy purposes. Here's the relevant snip from the User Manual:

Any chance you just have it closed?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,110 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are several different Chromebook Spin 512 models. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like R856Tx-xxx-xxxx. The differences between the different models may not affect your question however… On most of the R856T models the camera at the top of the screen has a shutter for privacy purposes. Here's the relevant snip from the User Manual:

Any chance you just have it closed?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FlyingGeese
    FlyingGeese Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Oh DEAR! I'm very grateful for your screenshot. In all this time, I've never noticed it or touched it. It is very unobtrusive. Yes, it was closed, no idea how.

ABSOLUTELY SOLVES THE PROBLEM. Thank you for lovely, timely advice.