SB220Q bi it only came with an VGA cable,but I can't get it to connect to my laptop?No VGA port

Options
AriesDaydream
AriesDaydream Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Monitors

I don't know the names for specific things and not tech savvy, so I hope I am explaining things clearly.

The monitor is an [Acer 21.5 Inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Ultra-Thin Zero Frame Computer Monitor (HDMI & VGA Port) SB220Q bi] from amazon and it only came with an VGA cable which my laptop doesn't have a port for. My laptop is also an Acer brand (Nitro 5).

What cable do I need to connect the monitor to my laptop? I have been combing through amazon trying to find one. I've already bought two, but one cable was too big for my laptop ports and the second one is I think too small? It fits in too easily and my laptop doesn't make a sound when I plug it in.

Too many of the cables that amazon shows has what looks like a regular HDMI port but the inside of it looks different. The ones that I often use has a bar at the bottom of the inside, while the amazon ones have little pins inside.

I'm super confused on what type of cable I need. Thank you in advance for any help!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,340 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, there are a bunch of different SB220Q models, some with VGA, some with HDMI and some with both. You need an HDMI to VGA adapter like this one (Note that's just the first one I found with an Amazon search, there are lots and lots of others). You will use the VGA cable that came with to connect between the adapter and the monitor.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, there are a bunch of different SB220Q models, some with VGA, some with HDMI and some with both. You need an HDMI to VGA adapter like this one (Note that's just the first one I found with an Amazon search, there are lots and lots of others). You will use the VGA cable that came with to connect between the adapter and the monitor.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AriesDaydream

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks, I didn't know what type of cable to look for! The one you linked, the part that goes into my laptop doesn't look like it'll work, so I'm going to try getting this one instead. I'm hoping it works haha

• billsey
    Options

Nope, that is a USB cable, not an HDMI. What laptop do you have? Can you take pictures of the ports on it?

• AriesDaydream

Tinkerer

Options

I have an Acer Nitro 5 laptop. Here's a picture of the ports. The port that would fit the one you linked is already being used. These two are the only ones I have left open. If the one I linked won't work, I guess I can just switch out the other thing I have plugged up in that port, and get the one you linked.

• billsey
    Options

Which Nitro 5 model do you have? There have been a bunch of different ones over the years. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like AN5xx-xxx-xxxx. With just a USB-A port you are going to need a dock that generates it's own video signal to drive a third display. As long as you aren't expecting to use that for gaming it should work fine.

• AriesDaydream

Tinkerer

edited January 2
    Options

I don't have the sticker anymore so I had to look at the system info. It says Nitro AN515-53, it doesn't have other numbers like your example. And yeah, I wanted to use the monitor to watch videos (youtube, netflix, etc.) and play games on. So, in order to do that, I should get the adapter you linked?

Thank you for helping, btw!

• billsey
    Options

The AN515-53 model has a single USB-C port, but doesn't support DP Alt Mode so can't do video directly. Any display you connect through USB will not be suitable for gaming, just the builtin display and the one off the HDMI will be fast enough for that. You can watch videos and such on a display off the USB, since they don't require as much horsepower. The two ports on that side, however, are USB 2.0, which isn't really fast enough for FHD video. What do you have plugged into the USB ports on the other side?

• AriesDaydream

Tinkerer

Options

Here's a picture of the other two ports and the cables I have plugged into them. The other ends of the wires are connected to an HDMI Video Capture.

• AriesDaydream

Tinkerer

Options

I ordered the adapter you linked and it just came in. It works! The picture and video quality is amazing. I haven't tried anything like Netflix, but youtube and Twitch works very fine. Thank you!