Problem with plastic frame on the display Aspire 515-47 laptop, little cracks on the plastic cover

Mech_guy
Mech_guy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hi

I have a little problem. I have an Aspire 515-47 laptop, i bought him this year and I have guarantee. The problem is It has a little cracks on the plastic cover. It is everything in one peace everything works normal but Im scared It could leak to a much big problem. The service dont want to fix the problem, they say its not a problem just a little crack of the plastic. One thing more It is hard to open and close the laptop because it is tightly. I think the hinges are ok they is not a deformation around them. Just the little line crack that is probably made by opening and closing the laptop

My question is could I fix that with super glue. Its not a big crack, just a line.

Their are photos too.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,540 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓

If your laptop is under warranty don't touch your laptop and send your Aspire A515-47 to Acer Tech Support for them to change the screen bezel, if your laptop has run out of the 12 months Acer warranty then change the bezel and DO NOT glue it with superglue, the only glue that is appropriate is hot glue but imo you need to replace the bezel with a new one so here are the instructions and part number for the bezel that you need for your Aspire A515-47:

A515-47 LCD Bezel Part Number

A515-47 LCD Bezel Removal Guide:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• echoharmony
    echoharmony Member Posts: 1 New User

I understand your concern about the cracks on your laptop and the difficulty in opening and closing it. While I can't see the photos you mentioned, I can offer some general advice.

If the laptop is still under warranty, it's generally not advisable to attempt repairs yourself, as doing so could void the warranty. However, if the service center is not willing to address the issue and you believe it's affecting the laptop's functionality, you might want to consider the following steps:

1. Contact Customer Support Again:Try reaching out to the laptop's customer support again, clearly explaining the issue and providing any necessary documentation such as photos. Be persistent but polite in expressing your concerns.
    2. Visit an Authorized Service Center:If the service center you contacted initially is unhelpful, you could try visiting another authorized service center if there is one nearby. They might have a different approach or be more willing to address the issue.
    3. Consult the Laptop's Manual:Check your laptop's manual for information on warranty coverage and the recommended procedure for addressing physical damage. Some warranties might cover more than you think.
    4. Document the Issue:Take clear photos or videos of the cracks and any difficulty in opening or closing the laptop. This documentation can serve as evidence of the issue.
    5. Use Super Glue as a Temporary Fix:If you're out of options and the issue is not covered by warranty, you could attempt a temporary fix using super glue. However, this should be approached with caution, as using the wrong type of glue or applying it improperly could cause more harm.

Remember that DIY repairs might not be the best solution, especially if the laptop is still under warranty. Always consult the manufacturer's guidelines and consider seeking professional help to avoid unintended consequences. If you can provide more details or the photos, I may be able to offer more specific advice.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,540 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓

If your laptop is under warranty don't touch your laptop and send your Aspire A515-47 to Acer Tech Support for them to change the screen bezel, if your laptop has run out of the 12 months Acer warranty then change the bezel and DO NOT glue it with superglue, the only glue that is appropriate is hot glue but imo you need to replace the bezel with a new one so here are the instructions and part number for the bezel that you need for your Aspire A515-47:

A515-47 LCD Bezel Part Number

A515-47 LCD Bezel Removal Guide:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,562 Trailblazer

Superglue is unlikely to give a real fix, it just doesn't bond that well with the types of plastics used in laptops. Be more careful when opening or closing the laptop and do it slowly from the center of the screen rather from the corner to minimize stress on the hinge mounts. Those types of cracks are most often caused by the hinges starting to pull loose from the cases and short of a replacement of the case can usually be fixed by using a metal epoxy to rebuild the mounts.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.