Acer Travelmate P648, t's not detecting anymore my boot drive which is an ssd. "no bootable device"

Options
Ronald__66
Ronald__66 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited December 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

Hello...so I have an issue with my Acer Travelmate. Since two weeks it's not detecting anymore my boot drive which is an ssd. Saying after launch "no bootable device"

It's quite of a long story…the issue first appeared a year ago shortly after I bought the laptop. The buyer told me the ssd died so he put another one. Sadly a week after mounting the new ssd, the same issue happened again. I went to a friend who knows about maintenance, he worked his magic and the laptop was ok for about 7-8 months. Then two weeks ago, the problem appeared again. Before that I just watched a movie on the laptop and felt asleep. It went on standby mode. So I didn't make any changes and all.

I gave it to a technician and we realized it doesn't recognized ssd anymore. When any SSD is mounted it doesn't not appear in the boot menu. So what can I do to fix the problem??

P.s.: before the "no bootable device" issue the laptop when I turned it on was taking long before showing the Acer logo but after that it launched Windows. So can it be related to the no bootable issue???

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,876 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023
    Options

A 2015 model laptop you bought in 2022? Is this perhaps a refurbished laptop? The fact that it had a bad SSD would suggest the laptop is >8 years old. My next guess would be a bad battery that could explain the shutdown issue. Not detecting the SSD could be a non-compatible NVMe SSD in the Sata slot, is this a 2.5" Sata-3 SSD or a PCIe M.2 SSD, Sata or NVMe? The laptop comes with a 256GB SATA PCIe SSD and the M.2. port only supports Sata-3 SSD. Open the laptop and check the SSD type, if it is a 2.5" Sata drive and there is nothing in the M.2 PCIe slot you may have to replace the Sata cable.

• Ronald__66
    edited December 2023
    Options

Sorry I'm not quite understanding you. But here's a visual of the ssd

[Edited the post to hide sensitive data]

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

There are at least five different P648 base models, released on different years with different specs. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like TMP648-xxx-xxxx. If yours was purchased in 2022 it might be one of the P648-G2-xxxx or P648-G3-xxxx, if you bought it used it also could be one of the older models Puraw references. The drive you have installed is a 'no name' generic Chinese drive, and fairly often those are the rejects from a brand name with a different label. It looks like your battery was manufactured in 2016, so my best guess is your model will be the P6248-M, -MG, -V or -VG which were all released in 2017. They were 6th gen Intel based systems. The drives on those are SATA only, no NVMe. I'd suggest replacing the existing with a brand name like Samsung, then installing Windows 10.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ronald__66
    Options

I checked and it's a P648 MG...so I understand it's best to buy a ssd with a brand name, is that right?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, it's not very uncommon for a generic to come in bad. They just keep sending you new ones until one works sometimes. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

VCan you send a photo of the bios information tab? The SSD must be appearing in the bios.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)