when I connect the Type C to my ACER (PC) the monitor doesn't work Aspire 1760

Gazsmith
Gazsmith Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have an Aspire 1760 and using a Dell 6000 docking station (which has my monitor via the HDMI cable).

When I use my docking station with my Dell laptop, the monitor works fine with no issues but when I connect the Type C to my ACER (PC) the monitor doesn't work. All the other elements such as keyboard and mouse do)?

If I disconnect the HDMI from the docking station and plug directly into the PC then the display works. Sometimes if I then plug it back into the docking station, the monitor display can work but if I restart the PC start it shows not connected again. 

I have tried the following but none of it is making a difference:

1.   Changing HDMI cable

2.  A different docking station (still a Dell but a different model and a new one)

3. Upgraded the docking station drivers.

All of these have failed to work; I think it is something simple but m out of ideas, please can you help? 

TY Gaz.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Which 1760 model do you have? XC, TC, etc.? A lot of the desktops don't support DP Alt mode on the USB-C ports, but without knowing just which you have I can't look it up for you. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-1760-xxxx.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Gazsmith

Tinkerer

Hi Billsey, I have the TC model.

1. When I start up my PC using the Docking Station the display doesn't work.

2. When I disconnect the HDMI from the Docking Station and insert HDMI directly into the PC it works. 

3.  If I then remove the HDMI from PC and place back into the Docking Station the display works. 

4.  Although only one monitor is connected, in display settings it states there are 2 monitors attached,  

5.  So I use the identify monitors setting is it displays my screen as Monitor 2  (see picture)

6.  When you use identify monitor 1 nothing is shown.

It is driving me mad, having to disconnect and connect each time to use the docking station can you offer and advice?

TY Gaz.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited December 2023

I'm sure that he wants -UA -UR11 or UA93 suffix.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/catalogsearch/result/?q=tc-1760

• billsey

OK, on the TC-1760 the USB-C port is a gen 1, and I don't believe it supports DP Alt Mode, so your dock is likely generating it's own video signals. That would make sense in regards to having two displays showing up in Windows, since the dock reports two video ports even though only one physical monitor is connected. Likely that's a bug in their firmware, not passing the true state back to the computer. Does Dell have newer drivers or firmware for that dock? IIRC the 6000 has been around a long time now, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had done several updates over the years. I believe the main issue is also firmware related. The dock sees the computer has gone to sleep or been disconnected, so it shuts down the video to the monitor. When the computer wakes the dock doesn't recognize that and doesn't turn the monitor back on…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie

Does USB-C support DP Alt mode?

DisplayPort Alt Mode (DP Alt Mode) allows a USB-C equipped computer to connect directly to a display or monitor. The monitor will need to have a USB-C port for you to make this connection.

• Gazsmith

Tinkerer

Hi guys,

TY for the feedback; @billsey I have the latest drivers for the 6000 installed. Is there away to remove the firmware and get the older drivers back, as this used to work fine on my PC?

@Larryodie the monitor works with the USB-C port but only after connecting to PC and the connecting to the docking station; was this what you meant?

Cheers Gaz

• Larryodie

I was just googling and looking at some post on this forum about docking stations not working.

• billsey

My only suggestion at this point is to ask the Dell support forums about the dock behavior. I don't know if there is a method for rolling the firmware back…

• Gazsmith

Tinkerer

Hi all, thank you for your time on this unfortunately it looks like this problem will be unresolved.

TY for your time and have a great Christmas.

Gaz

• billsey

Check with Dell to see if they have any workaround for you…