eMachines E525-572G16Mi BIOS Update. Should you remove USB devices before updating BIOS?

Options
LéoChiro
LéoChiro Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

Hello, I have a question about the BIOS update for the eMachines E525-572G16Mi. Should you remove USB devices before updating BIOS? I'm asking this because the computer's keyboard and touchpad are broken so I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse. My actual OS is Windows 7 x86.

I follow this tutorial to update the BIOS:

Thanks.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

You should have no problems with a keyboard and mouse plugged in during a BIOS update. Just don't try it without the charger connected. If your system is old enough to be running Windows 7, why are you wanting to do a BIOS update? I'd think it would already be pretty stable if it's been working for that many years.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

You should have no problems with a keyboard and mouse plugged in during a BIOS update. Just don't try it without the charger connected. If your system is old enough to be running Windows 7, why are you wanting to do a BIOS update? I'd think it would already be pretty stable if it's been working for that many years.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LéoChiro

Tinkerer

Options

The computer takes time to display the POST. As soon as I turn on the computer, there is a black screen with nothing. You have to wait about 1 minute for the computer to display the POST, which bothers me a lot.

• billsey
    Options

A BIOS update will not fix that, it's more likely hardware related. There are a few things that happen before POST in initializes the graphics and the screen will stay blank through those steps.

• LéoChiro

Tinkerer

Options

I was completely successful in updating the BIOS. The update fixed the problem when starting the computer.