HDD & SSD simultaneously in TravelMate 8472g system didn't boot and windows didn't start.

Options
Amgad24972
Amgad24972 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

Greetings to all members
I have an Acer laptop with the following specs:
Model: Travelmate 8472G
Bios version: Phoenix 1.28 (released 2011)
Storage: HDD western digital 1TB\ SATA
Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit
I tried to add an additional SSD instead of the optical drive but the bios recognized it but the system didn't boot and windows didn't start.
the question is, is my bios ( and laptop) limited to one storage drive only? -whether HDD or SSD- or will i be able to do something with the bios to be able to work with the 2 drives simultaneously ?
Regards and thx in advance
Amgad

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,879 Trailblazer
    Options

Probably that Sata SSD interface is not compatible with the optical Sata drive interface, you may need a special adapter.

BTW, about running Windows10 1607? on a Windows7 laptop is not advised as BIOS and all drivers are not updated for W10, Acer and Microsoft don't support W7 anymore. Consider migrating to a Windows11 laptop. 😉

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

As far as the motherboard and chipset is concerned, there shouldn't be any difference between the two SATA ports:

If you are using one of the CD-ROM caddies to put the SSD in, try swapping the two drives, so the SSD is SATA0 and the HDD SATA1. You might just be experiencing an issue with the SSD itself.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Amgad24972
    Amgad24972 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Thx a lot PURAW & BILLSEY for your solutions, i heard that this model (might) restrict the use of 2 drives simultaneously, if this is true , can the BIOS be the cause.? Can it be upgraded?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

There are no restrictions on using more than one drive at a time.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.