Acer Predator Helios 16 Thunderbolt bug? he performance significantly decreases.

Options
chris0584512
chris0584512 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops

I have noticed that when I use a 65W Type-C charger to charge my laptop, the performance significantly decreases. I understand that using a non-DV power source can limit the performance. However, the issue is that when I use the laptop's internal power without connecting the 65W Type-C charger, the performance is actually much better than when I connect it. Is this unreasonable? Is there a solution to this problem?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    Options

I don't know which exact Predator PH16 laptops you have, as the Predator PH16-71 has an OEM barrel jack adapter of size 330W High power 5.5PHY (1.7x5.5x11) Brick 19.5V/16.92A or the PHN16-71 has an OEM barrel jack adapter 230W High power or a 330W High power 5.5PHY (1.7x5.5x11) Brick 19.5V/11.8A type OEM charger and for a USB-C charger to charge these high end gaming laptops, they needs an appropriate high end USB-C charger to replace this barrel jack OEM charger and the 65W USB-C charger that you are using is NOT adequate enough to use, hence and why you are getting the significant performance decrease,

The only way that you can use a USB-C charger that is continually plugged into your laptop, is to use a compatible and appropriate USB-C charger that will cost you like $300 these days, so if I was you, I would use the Acer OEM charger ONLY, don't worry about a USB-C smaller charger as they don't work as they are only adequate for a slow charge of these laptops in an emergency, but they are NOT an adequate charger to use as a continual power source. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• chris0584512
    chris0584512 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for your response. I understand the information you provided, but it is indeed strange that the performance is slower when using Type-C charging compared to using the internal battery. Is there a way to force normal performance while charging with Type-C? Additionally, I would like to inquire about the maximum supported wattage for Thunderbolt charging.

Regarding your laptop specifications, please find them below:

Predator PHN16-71
    Model Number: PHN16-71
    Part Number: NH.QLUCF.006
    Intel® Core™ i7-13700HX
    Windows 11 Home
    NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060 8G-GDDR6
    16 GB DDR5 Memory
    1TB PCIe NVMe SSD

I would like to know the maximum wattage supported for Thunderbolt charging. Thank you very much.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023
    Options

Ok so let me explain it to you again, your PHN16-71 either comes with a 230W or 330W adaptor charger, your laptop needs these adapters when its permanently plugged in as these adaptors also provide additional power when you push your laptop to extreme gaming power needs as they can sully the power for your laptop, and these chargers' specs are like below:

1. DELTA ADP-230JB DA 230W High power 5.5PHY (1.7x5.5x11) Brick 19.5V/11.8A
    2. Chicony Power A330A012P 330W High power 5.5PHY (1.7x5.5x11) Brick 19.5V/16.92A

All OEM adapters for th epHN16-71 laptop models:

As you can see above that your 65W USB-C is way too weak to power this laptop as it barley charges this laptop and if your laptop needs power from the adaptor your USB-C has NO power to assist the laptop while its charging, USB-C ports can be inputted with a 240W charger to fully charge your laptop which will be fine if you had a 240W USB-C charger, but your charger is a 65W and its way off what your PHN16-71 needs, that is why its affecting your laptops performance and if you keep using that 65W charger you will damage your laptop, either buy a top quality 240W USB-C charger or use the oem supplied adaptor charger for your Predator Helios PHN16-71 model.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍