Upgrading Acer Aspire TC-780 and How can i update the bios?

Options
23kxFra
23kxFra Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hello, i wanted to upgrade my bios(R01.A1) to the latest bios avaible for my computer(R02.B2). The problem is when i download the file, unzip it and run it in windows, it goes to 100% and restarts, i go to bios and the version is the same as before. I tried to run every single file by FreeDOS and MS-DOS, but didn't work.

How can i update the bios?

Also when i run the bat on windows, it tells me like error 10, drivers or something like this idk..

I tried to put the latest version for the A series(bios) and it tells me if i want to downgrade the fw, but i still have the first one..

Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,349 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Your TC-780 bios might not be upgradable in an accumulative way, as it could be corrupted, try and do a systematic bios update by starting with the next version up from your current version bios R01.A1 to version R02.A1 and then try to upgrade to the last version R02.B2, see if that works.

If it doesn't then you need to update every bios version one by one to the last available bios version for the TC-780 the version R02.B2. See if that works, if it doesn't then your bios id corrupted and needs to be reprogrammed with a proper CH341A USB Programmer, which you need expertise and the proper knowledge of how to reprogram the bios, do not attempt this if you don't know how to operate this programming tool. Let us know how you go, good luck and hope this helps you out.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,453 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

R01.A1 is the correct version for your motherboard.

Just stop trying while you're ahead. Evidently there is NO UPGRADE for your system.

Read Billsey's comments on my link.

AGAIN ACER is letting their customers waste time and/or brick your machine by not stopping the processing of the BIOS. :(

I suppose that when it ask if you want to do a firmware DOWNGRADE THAT YOU SHOULD SAY NO.

ACER should have stopped this long before.

I read the appendix and no note as looking at your CPU level ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,267 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you can't upgrade the R01 to any of the R02 versions, they are for a different motherboard.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,349 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Your TC-780 bios might not be upgradable in an accumulative way, as it could be corrupted, try and do a systematic bios update by starting with the next version up from your current version bios R01.A1 to version R02.A1 and then try to upgrade to the last version R02.B2, see if that works.

If it doesn't then you need to update every bios version one by one to the last available bios version for the TC-780 the version R02.B2. See if that works, if it doesn't then your bios id corrupted and needs to be reprogrammed with a proper CH341A USB Programmer, which you need expertise and the proper knowledge of how to reprogram the bios, do not attempt this if you don't know how to operate this programming tool. Let us know how you go, good luck and hope this helps you out.

• 23kxFra
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello, thank you for replying.

I tried to put the R01.A1, because i saw that mine is R01.A0 and this happens when i try to run it by cmd admin

Same happens with the R02.A2.

This happens when i run R02.B2:

Then this happens when i run the R02.B0:

and then it force resets.

Then i go to the bios and it shows me this

Thanks!

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive information]

• 23kxFra
    Options

My previous comment was deleted idk why,

like i said, when i run the R01.A1(this fw because i saw mine its the r01.a0 one) and the it show me this

same with the r02.a2 and r02.a1, r02.a3.

This happens with the r02.a4:

then this with the r02.b0:

and then this with the latest(r02.b2) it says the error 10 driver but it does work, at 100% restarts and when i go to the bios, same version(r01.a0)

Thanks!

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,453 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

R01.A1 is the correct version for your motherboard.

Just stop trying while you're ahead. Evidently there is NO UPGRADE for your system.

Read Billsey's comments on my link.

AGAIN ACER is letting their customers waste time and/or brick your machine by not stopping the processing of the BIOS. :(

I suppose that when it ask if you want to do a firmware DOWNGRADE THAT YOU SHOULD SAY NO.

ACER should have stopped this long before.

I read the appendix and no note as looking at your CPU level ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,267 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you can't upgrade the R01 to any of the R02 versions, they are for a different motherboard.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.