Acer Nitro 5 an515-57 Compatibility with an external hard drive

Raidenkid303
Raidenkid303 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited December 2023 in Nitro Gaming

I have a Acer Nitro 5 an515-57 and I wanna move all my data to a WD Elements 22TB USB 3.0 External Desktop Hard Drive. I just wanna know if that'll work or if I'll run into any issue.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,649 Trailblazer

It will work OK with W10 or W11.

• Raidenkid303

Where do I find that?

• Raidenkid303

Does this help? https://www.adorama.com/wdbwlg22hbk.html

• Hi @Raidenkid303 the WD external drive you mention will serve to save all your personal data as a backup.

It will not work if what you want is to save it with the operating system since making a copy of the operating system requires another procedure but what is really important is to make a backup copy of personal files such as documents, photographs, videos, music, etc. for this It will be enough to copy from the computer disk to the WD USB external disk.

A hug.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • Raidenkid303

Okay jus to clarify I can put all my game data in there no problem right? I really jus want a ton of space for all the video games I'm into.

• No, if you copy the game and then want to run it from the external drive, it will not work.
    What exactly do you want to do with the external drive?

All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
  • Raidenkid303

I jus wanna use it as storage for my game data. So I can have my games on there and can plug and play like I do with the external hard drive I use with my ps4.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,859 Trailblazer

Also, the WD Elements 22TB USB 3.0 external HDD is too slow to play games directly from it, it only has a sequential read speed of 110MB/s and 95MB/s write, where a PCIe 4x4 drive and slot has 7500MB/s so figure it out how much faster that is. The WD Elements 22TB USB 3.0 external HDD is designed for storage and NOT to play games on 😁

• The external drive is only valid for storing data.

Greetings.

• Raidenkid303

Okay I'm just getting increasingly more confused. I just want to store the game data on there and be able to plug my hard drive into whatever laptop and have my games ready to play. Can I do that?

• Playing from an external drive can be complicated, you will have to do tests and have a suitable external drive, not all games allow installation on an external drive and those that allow it can cause execution problems due to the speed of the USB port, this As long as it is the same computer, trying to connect the external drive to another computer is more problematic.

In short, try it but from my personal opinion, it is not recommended, anyway, wait for more answers.

I leave you a couple of technical notes that talk about the topic:

https://pcplayerhub.com/can-i-run-pc-games-off-external-hard-drive/

https://techcrawlr.com/can-you-play-games-off-an-external-hard-drive/

All the best.