How do I disable double tap to turn off a Chromebook or submit a bug about this problem?

Options
yourmom
yourmom Member Posts: 1 New User

Chromebook devs claim that double tap to turn off a Chromebook is not a feature. They say to contact the manufacturer and that it must be a hardware issue. How do I file a bug or get this issue acknowledged? I consistently tell everyone I know to never touch an Acer Chromebook because of this problem. It's beyond unacceptable.

Answers

• alx181
    alx181 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

To disable double tap on touchpad in Chromebook, you can do one of the following:

1. Open your Chromebook’s Settings app, select Device on the sidebar, and select Mouse and touchpad. Toggle off Enable tap-to-click on the touchpad settings page.
    2. Open your web browser. Type chrome://flags/#ash-debug-shortcuts in the address bar of the web browser and press Enter. Enable the option Debugging keyboard shortcuts, then restart your Chromebook. Press the Search + Shift + P keys at the same time to toggle the touchpad On or Off.

If you want to submit a bug about this problem, you can visit the Chromebook Help Center and click on the “Send feedback” button at the bottom of the page. You can also try posting your issue on the Chromebook Community forum to see if other users have experienced similar problems.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

I am not sure what double tap you are referring to. All Acer Chromebooks I have used (and I have several) don't turn off with a double tap on the touchpad or touchscreen. Which Chromebook do you have? Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jes1s
    Jes1s Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I also have this issue (and at least 400 other people as well according to another forum post).

I have an Acer Chromebook 315, manufactured in Jan 2020.
    This issue isn’t involving the touchpad, as seems to be frequently mistaken in help forum responses across the web. It’s involving the power button itself, and accidentally double tapping the power button in the top right corner of keyboard, particularly when I am trying to press the backspace key several times to edit a document. This double press of the power button causes an instant shut down of the computer with no warning or pop up to confirm, screen goes white and then black and the computer is shut down.

The power button doesn’t appear damaged or impeded in any way. It’s simply a matter of my hands/fingers easily overshooting & reaching past the backspace key to land on the power key instead, and I have notoriously small hands, so it’s not a big hand issue.
    This issue occurs several times a day while I use my computer.