ACER ASPIRE TC-220 NO sound on VG270S monitor

Options
rickdeis
rickdeis Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in Monitors

Have a ACER ASPIRE TC-220 computer with AMD A8-7600Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores
4C+6G @ 3.1GHz with 8 GB RAM.   64 BIT OS Running windows 10 and just picked up the Nitro VG270S monitor but the sound will not work. Picture is great on the monitor but I purchased it because I wanted the sound built in. Are these 2 acer products not compatible? If so I will just return it to the Source.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• rickdeis
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for your comments. Yes my VG270S does have speakers. Did a test by hooking my laptop running WIN11 to its 2nd HDMI port on the VG270S and the monitors speakers worked just fine. I assume the problem lies either with WIN10 or something else on the ACER computer/softwear.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that the VG270's driver isn't loading for some strange reason. The old 2006 MS driver (monitor.inf) is not getting replaced by the Acer VG270.inf in spite of the computer saying that the update works (when I right click the unzipped file and install it).Device manager on the laptop shows "Generic Monitor (VG270 S" and my ACER computer still shows "Generic PnP Monitor" regardless of how many times I try to update the driver. If I try the update from device manager it says the best driver is already installed.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,773 Trailblazer
    Options

Your monitor has 2x2Watt speakers and a 1x3.5mm audio port for a headset. Connect with a HDMI cable to your PC HDMI port.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Options

Some of the VG270S SKUs have speakers, some do not. Do you have an audio in port on the back? If so you should have internal speakers. If all you have is an audio out port then there aren't internal speakers.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rickdeis
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for your comments. Yes my VG270S does have speakers. Did a test by hooking my laptop running WIN11 to its 2nd HDMI port on the VG270S and the monitors speakers worked just fine. I assume the problem lies either with WIN10 or something else on the ACER computer/softwear.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that the VG270's driver isn't loading for some strange reason. The old 2006 MS driver (monitor.inf) is not getting replaced by the Acer VG270.inf in spite of the computer saying that the update works (when I right click the unzipped file and install it).Device manager on the laptop shows "Generic Monitor (VG270 S" and my ACER computer still shows "Generic PnP Monitor" regardless of how many times I try to update the driver. If I try the update from device manager it says the best driver is already installed.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Options

Monitor 'drivers' are really just the same info as plug and play reads from them, the supported resolutions and frequencies. Nothing to do with sound…

With the monitor connected, when you go into sound settings on the TC-220, what output options are there?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rickdeis
    Options

SOLVED!

So this is what I did.

1./ Disable PNPMonitor in device manager under Monitors

2./Re-install ACER VG270.inf driver file previously downloaded from ACER

3./ Download and run Radeon Adrenalin driver "Adrenalin 22.6.1 with 6/23/2022 release date.

4./ Reboot

5./ Voila! Mission control we have sound.

So to be safe I created a restore point just in case it quits working.

I also re-installed the Acer VG270.icc profile

Link for Radeon drivers https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-desktops/a8-7600-radeon-r7-series

Link for Acer Monitor driver https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/VG270/MM.TDPAA.005/downloads the Acer

All is good now; but the Acer Display widget has replace HD with Movie and it no longer seems to work (maybe needs a re-install also)

Other interesting item is the Monitor in device manager still only shows the disbled PNP Monitor.

Plus the Realtek mixer has dissapeared

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems.