Accidentally broke connection to HDD Now I can't connect my HDD. Predator ph315-51

Options
Raiii
Raiii Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hello,

I accidentally broke the white buckle thingy which held the connector. Now I can't connect my HDD. I tried using duct tape but it didn't work. Aby tips?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Which laptop model do you have, as unfortunately this problem is a very common issue with the Acer Nitro models, as adding these 2.5" HDD to these new laptops is a nightmare (as the new laptops don't have a 2.5" HDD anymore, as they are being phased out) as the space that Acer provides is very limited and the flat SATA cable and its end is very hard to plug into the mobo SATA plug. and if forced either the SATA plug clip over plastic part gets damaged (like in your case) or the SATA flat cable pins get damaged at their ends and you need to replace that or both plug and cable.

Its very unfortunate that Acer and some manufacturers, not all, have gone to this cheap and nasty SATA plug instead of a plug-in normal plug that they use to use, I suppose that's progress😀 the only solution is to take your laptop to a technician that can replace the SATA mobo plug and had all the micro soldering tools and a microscope, as that is the only way that you can fix this.

• Raiii
    Raiii Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Yeah exactly you're right. Thanks for the reponse. My laptop is Predator Helios 300 (ph315-51). Fortunately, only this plastic part got broken, all microcomponents are fine. I managed to fix it with plastic piece to subtend it and insulating tape.