Acer Predator 300 PH315-54 laptop LCD overdrive issues, flashes when moving my camera in-game camera

Options
wheresmycar2
wheresmycar2 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in Predator Laptops

I've never really enabled LCD Overdrive through Acer's PredatorSense software because I've been having some serious pixel overshooting and strange "flashes when moving my camera in-game camera when enabled. I've tried using it here and there but no luck. Has anyone else encountered this?

I don't know if I just have a faulty lcd display unit or it's linked to VRR or a driver(s) issue, but can anyone recommend anything I can try? Is it possible I can change the OD strength through regedit or somewhere within the software's files?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    Options

Overdrive makes the pixels transition colours faster, basically it reduces ghosting. It does this by "over-volting" the operating voltage of the pixels, but in doing so, it can make the pixels "overshoot" their desired colour.

Excellent ghosting test here: Blur Busters TestUFO Motion Tests. Benchmark for monitors & displays.

• a_happy_laptop_user
    a_happy_laptop_user Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

Dealing with LCD overdrive issues can be a bit tricky, and it's good that you're trying to troubleshoot the problem. Acer's PredatorSense software usually provides an interface to adjust LCD overdrive settings. If you're experiencing issues with pixel overshooting and strange flashes, here are some steps you can consider:

1. Update Graphics Drivers:

• Make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date. Visit the official website of your graphics card manufacturer (NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel) and download the latest drivers for your GPU.

2. Update PredatorSense Software:

• Check if there's an updated version of the PredatorSense software available. Acer may release updates that address bugs and improve compatibility.

3. Adjust Overdrive Settings:

• If you haven't already, experiment with different LCD overdrive settings within the PredatorSense software. Sometimes, a lower or higher setting can help reduce overshooting or artifacts.

4. Check for VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) Compatibility:

• Verify if your laptop display supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) technology. If so, ensure that it is enabled in both the graphics driver settings and the PredatorSense software.

5. Disable VRR Temporarily:

• As a troubleshooting step, try disabling VRR temporarily to see if the issue persists. Some games or applications might have conflicts with VRR.

6. Reset to Default Settings:

• If you've made various changes in the PredatorSense software, consider resetting the settings to default and then gradually adjusting them to identify the specific setting causing the issue.

7. Registry Editing (Caution):

• Editing the Windows Registry can be risky, and it's recommended only for advanced users. If you choose to go this route, you may find some registry entries related to display settings, but proceed with caution and create a backup before making any changes.

8. Contact Acer Support:

• If the issue persists and you're unable to find a solution, consider reaching out to Acer's customer support. They may be aware of specific issues related to your laptop model and could provide guidance or recommend a course of action.

Important Note:

When adjusting settings related to LCD overdrive or other display features, it's a good practice to make changes one at a time and test the impact in your games or applications. This helps in identifying the specific setting causing the issue.

Remember that the behavior of LCD overdrive can vary between different displays, and sometimes a certain level of overshooting is inherent to the technology. If all else fails, professional assistance from Acer support or a certified technician may be required.