Nitro XZ2 Curved Gaming Monitor XZ322QU Is it possible to Daisychain these Monitors with my Laptop?

Options
PotatoBandit
PotatoBandit Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in Monitors

Hello so I recently bought 31.5" Nitro XZ2 Curved Gaming Monitor - MonitorX2 Bundle and I'm trying to daisychain the 2 monitors through my display port on my
Acer - Predator Helios 300 - 15.6" QHD 240Hz Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB DDR5 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti - 1TB SSD. I tried looking up tutorials and following them but it doesn't seem to be working, could anyone guide me a bit on how to move forward or if it is even possible?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Most monitors don't have video out ports, so can't be daisy chained. You typically only use daisy chaining in business environments where, for instance, a presenter need to have several displays that show the presentation in various areas of the room. Daisy chaining will not allow you to have different images on different displays. Are you sure you aren't looking to drive two monitors with different images on them off your laptop? Also, there have been a bunch of different Predator Helios 300 versions over the years. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like PH3xx-xxx-xxxx. Some version might allow driving a third monitor off a USB port.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,014 Trailblazer
    Options

See this guide "How to Daisy Chain Monitors with HDMI (Step-by-Step Guide)"

Setting Up Daisy Chaining

Now that you’ve prepared all the necessary cables and adapters, it’s time to start setting up your daisy chain. Follow these steps to get started:

Connect the first monitor to the device with an HDMI cable

• Connect the first monitor to your device using an HDMI cable. This is usually the HDMI Out port on your device.
    • Make sure the cable is securely connected to both the monitor and device to avoid any signal loss or quality issues.

Connect the second monitor to the first monitor’s HDMI Out port

• Connect the second monitor to the first monitor’s HDMI Out port using another HDMI cable.
    • Again, make sure the cable is securely connected to both monitors to avoid any issues.

Repeat the process for additional monitors

• If you have more than two monitors, repeat the process by connecting the third monitor to the second monitor’s HDMI Out port, and so on, until you’ve connected all the monitors in the daisy chain.
    • Remember to check that all the cables are securely connected.

Configure the display settings on your device

• Once you’ve connected all the monitors, you’ll need to configure the display settings on your device.
    • Depending on your operating system, you can access the display settings by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting “Display Settings” or “Screen Resolution.”
    • In the display settings, you’ll need to select “Extend desktop” or “Extend display” to enable multiple monitors.
    • You can also rearrange the display order to match the physical placement of your monitors.

By following these simple steps, you can set up a daisy chain of monitors with HDMI and enjoy the benefits of a larger display area and improved productivity. In the next section, we’ll discuss some common issues you may encounter and how to troubleshoot them.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Most monitors don't have video out ports, so can't be daisy chained. You typically only use daisy chaining in business environments where, for instance, a presenter need to have several displays that show the presentation in various areas of the room. Daisy chaining will not allow you to have different images on different displays. Are you sure you aren't looking to drive two monitors with different images on them off your laptop? Also, there have been a bunch of different Predator Helios 300 versions over the years. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like PH3xx-xxx-xxxx. Some version might allow driving a third monitor off a USB port.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PotatoBandit
    PotatoBandit Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

Hey Billsey, you're completely correct. I wanted to have different images on different displays but I wanted to drive it through my DisplayPort instead of HDMI since with the display port I get slightly higher frames than the HDMI. I have 1x thunderbolt 4, 1x HDMI 2.0 and 1x DP 1.4 ports. So, I did some research and thought I could use my DP for both Monitors by daisy chaining but now i realize that's not possible as these monitors don't have Video Out ports to begin with! I assumed video out would just be HDMI 2 hahaha. Thank you!

• billsey
    Options

Yep, you are going to have to either use DP on one and HDMI on the other. You can go with an external dock to drive more monitors, but the performance won't be up to gaming standards.