Seeking Help with Multiple Troublesome Issues on Predator PHN16-71. Like the RAM modules and the SSD

Options
chris0584512
chris0584512 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Predator Laptops

Below are the specifications:
Predator PHN16-71
Model Number: PHN16-71
Part Number: NH.QLUCF.006

Intel® Core™ i7-13700HX
Windows 11 Home
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060 8G-GDDR6
16" WUXGA IPS SlimBezel 165Hz, 1920 x 1200, sRGB 100%
16 GB DDR5 Memory
1TB PCIe NVMe SSD

As this laptop series seems to have various versions, I have searched for a lot of information online and contacted local technical support through phone and email, but I haven't received any assistance. I have a few questions that I would like to ask:

The original factory provided a 16GB RAM module, and I want to add an additional 16GB RAM. I'm unsure if there are any available slots for upgrading. From the BIOS data, I can see that a 16GB RAM module is already in use. I also checked with CPUZ, and it confirms the usage of a 16GB RAM module. However, when I opened the Windows Task Manager, I noticed that one RAM slot is in use, but there are four RAM slots available. This raises a question for me because a laptop shouldn't have four RAM slots, right? Could it be two 8GB modules, making it a total of 16GB? I have searched for information online, and both a single 16GB module and two 8GB modules are used in the same model. (The key point is that the local technical support department replied to me, stating that there are no available slots to add more RAM, but I seriously doubt their statement.)

I also plan to install an additional SSD on my laptop. Can it support a 2TB or 4TB M.2 SSD? In the BIOS, I should see two slots, and one of them should be empty. Is this correct? (Because I previously inquired with the local technical support department, and they told me that besides not having space to install more RAM, there is also no space to install an additional SSD. I heard their statement and really feel like it's a waste of time!)

If there is an available slot for RAM, are there any compatibility issues with the laptop? I have already found the same model of RAM, but I'm concerned it might be out of stock when I make the purchase. So, I would like to know if there are other brands compatible with this laptop. Additionally, are there any compatibility issues with the SSD? Should I purchase a single-sided SSD or double-sided SSD? If it's a double-sided SSD, will there be enough space?

Also, has anyone noticed the button shown in the image below? It can switch between different performance modes. Additionally, if you have set up different modes, the keyboard backlight should change accordingly. However, I found that it only changes the performance mode and not the keyboard backlight. To change the keyboard backlight, I have to open a program within Windows. Does anyone else experience the same? Is there a solution, or do we have to wait for ACER to fix it?

I wonder if anyone has noticed the CPU heating issue. When I'm playing games, I observe that the CPU usage remains around 2X%, but the temperature reaches close to 80 degrees Celsius. This seems unreasonable. Have others encountered this issue as well? I have checked the BIOS version, and it is 1.13, dated 2023/09/15, which is currently the latest version.

If I reinstall the operating system, can I directly use the default installed drivers in Windows 11 without manually installing them? Or do I need to install the drivers by searching for them from Intel?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

thank all

Answers

• Muhil
    Muhil Member Posts: 469 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

@chris0584512 reinstall by factory reset doesnt remove the drivers it is safe and any apps that came with the laptop it will be reinstalled no worries

• chris0584512

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for your response. May I ask if there is any expandable space for RAM and SSD in this laptop? Do you happen to know? Thank you.

• Muhil
    Muhil Member Posts: 469 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

i think ram if its 32 gb no expansion and ssd can be increased till 2tb two slots are present for ssd @chris0584512

• chris0584512

Tinkerer

Options

So, if I want to upgrade to 32GB of RAM, I can only purchase a single 32GB module and replace the existing one because this laptop has only one RAM slot, is that correct?

Where can I check RAM compatibility for this laptop?

Thank you.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Note: DO NOT FIT 32GB RAM MODULES to your laptop as your laptop will not boot and/or work, the Predator PHN16-71 is designed to run max 2x 16GB DDR5 type RAM modules into its 2x DIMM slots and if you want to upgrade your laptops 16GB RAM to its max capacity of 32GB RAM, then you need to do the following:

1. Install CPUz software and see what type of OEM 16GB DDR5 RAM Acer installed into your laptop e.g. manufacturer and part number its in the CPUz > SPD section of this software.
    2. By the looks of your caption above, of your Task Manager, its showing that you have a 1x 16GB DDR5-5200MHz type RAM module.
    3. So, go into CPUz and into its SDP section and see the exact RAM manufacturer and RAM serial number and specs that you have,
    4. Then try to buy the exact same RAM from eBay or Amazon or from a memory retailer on the web and upgrade the ram with another DDR5-5200MHz type RAM module.'

That is all that you have to do to upgrade the RAM, here are the specs of your laptop memory from its Acer SG, but by the RAM that your laptop is showing in its Task Manager, Acer didn't fit their specified DDR5-4800MHz type RAM, they fitted a faster DDR5-5200MHz type RAM which is even better and quicker. Do all the above and look at the captions I've included below s that is what you have to do to upgrade the RAM in this laptop, good luck and hope this helps you out.

You also need to wrap the RAM with a special Composite Foil that is used as a thermal foil to dissipate heat.

This is the Composite Foil and its Acer part number.

• chris0584512

Tinkerer

Options

Hello, your information has been very helpful to me. I would like to ask you another question. Do I need to remove the silver object in the picture? Also, after installing the RAM, is there a need to reinstall anything? Thank you very much.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Glad to help you out and that is great that I've helped you out.

Note: as what I'm seeing in your caption above, is that you haven't disconnected the main battery - ALWAYS AND FIRST DISCONNECT THE MAIN BATTERY and don't have the adaptor charger plugged into your laptop WHEN YOU DO ANY WORK INSIDE A LAPTOP as you can cause permanent damage to your laptop components if they are powered on!

With the cover, yes, you can remove that "silver object in the picture😀" that is a removable cover. When you do this ram upgrade, make sure that you get the ram module and then wrap the new ram in that foil that Acer wraps the ram with and then install the upgrade module, after that, put that cover over the ram like it was from Acer and your job is done, then close the laptop.

• chris0584512

Tinkerer

Options

Understood. Thank you very much for your assistance.😀

• RealNapster
    RealNapster Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thanks for these detailed answers. I am looking for the same information.