Acer 315 chromebook Network Is not available

lublud45
lublud45 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in Chromebooks

I bought a new Acer 315 chromebook. I started to set it up. I entered the wi-fi credentials. The chromebook reacted by saying "Network is not availabe". You can enter in Guest mode. I got in as a Guest. I was able to browse, the wi-fi seems to be working, but I cannot set it up with not guest mode.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Hi @lublud45 should I try a router reset? That is, a reset, not a simple power off and on?
    All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • messaid_saadane
    messaid_saadane Member Posts: 1 New User

il convient de Noter qu'une Réinitialisation est conseillée et redémarrer , cela pourra régulariser la situation

recevez les salutations

messaid_saadane

[img]https://i.imgur.com/9uIhzJi.png?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/d4w7zvP.gif[/img]

• GinaTO
    GinaTO Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited June 22

My problem too with a Chromebook 315-2H. Can't connect to the internet, only in guest mode. What a horrible setup! I tried connecting directly by ethernet into the modem, same thing "no network". How can they sell such garbage?

• GinaTO
    GinaTO Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited June 22

It turns out the 315-2H machine was produced in 2020, and sold new in 2024. The Chrome OS shows as "up to date". In order to fix the "network is not available" and having to work only in guest mode to get on the internet, you need to force an update of the Google Chrome OS. This is not a task for everybody. I read some discussions on Reddit and followed the instructions and got stuck at some point. I actually got to the point where I had to basically do a Chrome system recovery. This is done by downloading a recovery OS from Google & installing the recovery extension on a Chrome browser on another computer (mine was Windows 11), and although you could use Edge it's a bad choice, as only the Chrome browser can write on the USB or SD media. In the end it worked, since it forced the update by replacing the old OS with a newer one. Once that newer Chrome OS replaced the old one, everything now works as expected. I was able to set up the Chromebook by accessing the internet, and it's all working as it should have, from the start. The "network not available" problem is a Google OS problem. Nothing to do with the Acer hardware. However, there should be some support article on Acer's and other Chrome vendors' website, and mostly on Google's support website. The fact that they don't explain that the problem is the OS itself, makes a lot of users return their machines.