C871/C712 Chromebook does not turn on

Options
MDthetechguy
MDthetechguy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in Chromebooks

Hello I am a tech for a Washington area School district and we have purchased a large amount of the Acer C871/C712 Chromebooks. We are very consistently seeing issues where the Chromebook will not turn on and shows no power indicator. We have tried new batteries, daughterboards and ribbon cables. Also have tries all of the different reset option with button presses along with unscrewing grounding screws. We have had them replaced by Acer while under warranty but we never had a admittance that there is an issue with this model of Chromebook. Now that they are no longer under warranty we just have to surplus hundreds of Chromebooks for no apparent reason which is very costly. Has anyone else experienced this? Or have a fix for this?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Ryan21
    Ryan21 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hello I have just started being made aware of the same issue here at my school district in Illinois. We purchase several hundred or the Acer C871 series. I am being told we are getting several a day in that just do not want to power on. The onsite Chromebook support has just made me aware that he is having this issue. He said that he leaves them on charger for couple hours that does nothing. Then when he leaves them sit overnight just in a cabinet when he opens them the next day to check them some of them just turn on and seem to be okay again. It is weird and not making sense to me. I told him I would do some digging and see if anyone else has a similar issue and what I could find out. We just got ours the start of this school year so we need to get 4 years out of these and now I am worried. If someone has a fix or knows what is going on with this model and what can be done it would be greatly appreciated.

• MDthetechguy
    MDthetechguy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi Ryan21, Thanks for your comment on this. We have had them in our district for going on 3 years and about 6 months after our first deployment is when we started seeing this issue. My experience is that most of them wont power back on at all. When they were under warranty acer would replace the motherboard but of course after warranty they wanted nothing to do with it except charge us $250 to replace the motherboard. So its definitely something faulty on the main board. keep us posted if you get anything back from acer about your experience.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Hello! It's difficult to give a diagnosis online. However, when the computer does not turn on and the LEDs do not light up, it is because the primary voltages are missing or there is a short in the 19v voltage.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

You are likely best off to contact your Acer rep and get an answer through support. Here we will see others who have the issue, and no solution, or others will stay silent because they don't have the issue. If you can get support to determine cause then perhaps you can come back and let others know.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bobth
    Bobth Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Our school has about 100 Acer 712 (C871) Chromebooks out of 500 total Chromebooks on site. All of our battery problems are with these 100 Chromebooks. I have tried "compatible" batteries to replace some, but the Chromebooks would not start up at all. When replaced with Acer labeled batteries, they all worked. Now the last batch of 6 Acer labeled batteries I bought, from the same vendor I used before, will not work. Installing a battery from a working Chromebook into these dead Chromebooks does work so it has to be some electronics compatibility issue in the replacement batteries. I don't know what to do now. These Chromebooks AUE date of June 2030, but not if I can't get batteries that work.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

You are likely best off to contact your Acer rep and get an answer through support.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.