Acer Aspire V5 571P 6499 power on but no display or no access to BIOS

Options
ithe
ithe Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

Hi,

I am using this Acer Aspire V5 571P 6499 laptop for a long time. Laptop does powers on, but no display after properly shutdown while in its last working condition.

Laptop model - Acer Aspire V5 571P 6499

MoBo - Husk MB 11309-4M 48.4TU05.04M

HW config. i5, 4 GB RAM,250GB SSD, Windows 10 OS

status when laptop turned on

no display no logo no BIOS access

status - power led on, charging led (when power adaptor connected), led on power switch glow when power is on.

fan spins and stops for a minute and again start spinning.

keyboard caps led doesn't turn on or off.

tried few things at first.

RAM - reseated. also seated on second slot.

connected to external monitor still no sign.

tried to turn on without SSD,WIFI,with only battery, withonly power adaptor, without keyboard

visual inspection findings - on spot on laptop MoBo seems very hot only if laptop power is turned on, that is IC "G11333 01 YK9 also marked as SLJ8C" something is short circuited.

Any suggestions. how to fix this ?

Best Answer

• ithe

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Its the faulty RAM. My spare dell laptop have PC3L 12800s RAM so tried it and it turned on perfectly.

But Thanks for all the suggestions 😀

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options

The chip controls mainboard buss communication between CPU. screen and other basic i/o devices & ports. So it's probably gonna be hot but not hot enough to discolor the board its mounted on. Any BIOS beep error codes on startup? If none, any beep codes if you mash several KB keys with your palm on startup?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

It could potentially be a corrupted BIOS, but more likely as you surmise, the motherboard has gone south.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ithe

Tinkerer

Options

@JackE no beep code just mains power led on and charger led on if i connect charger.no beep sound even pressing KB.

@billsey  "the motherboard has gone south" What do you mean ?

• JackE
    Options

no display after properly shutdown while in its last working condition. > connected to external monitor still no sign.

(1) How long ago did this happen?

(2) Does pressing FN+F6 turn internal dispaly on?

(3) Does FN+F5 turn external display on?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Options

"Go south", https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/go_south basically "to fail". The fan coming on means the power is getting to the motherboard, that it turns off and back on again means something is coming up enough to adjust the fan speed, so the BIOS is at least starting execution. That it doesn't seem to go any farther and doesn't generate beep codes or a display of the splash screen means it is failing before POST tries to check the memory. That either means the BIOS is crashing before the memory test or there is something wrong with the motherboard that causes the crash. The Aspire V5-571P laptops are from 2015, so likely not worth trying to fix.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ithe

Tinkerer

Options
    1. Just week before.
    2. nothing turns on
    3. nothing turns on

sorry for my delayed reply.

• ithe

Tinkerer

Options

Anybody know how to flash bios from this stage ? or is it good to flash from this stage of my laptop ?

• ithe

Tinkerer

edited November 2023
    Options

Could this be RAM issue ? just curiosity ? I have single 4GB PC3-12800S instead that can i use PC3L-12800S ?

• JackE
    Options

(1) How long ago did this happen?> Just week before > Anybody know how to flash bios from this stage ? >

Did you try to update the BIOS from Windows before this happened?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Options

PC3 and PC3L run at different voltages, so it;s possible they will not be interchangeable with this laptop. There is a procedure for using a crisis disk to reflash the BIOS, but they don't document the filenames needed to create the crisis disk anywhere we've been able to find. Typically that means a reflash is going to have to be done with a chip programmer, and that's not typically a process that can be done at home…

• ithe

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Its the faulty RAM. My spare dell laptop have PC3L 12800s RAM so tried it and it turned on perfectly.

But Thanks for all the suggestions 😀

• JackE
    Options

Congratulations! Thanks for reporting back on the cause. 🙂

Jack E/NJ