PHN16 - 71 Acer Predator Screen Hangs after gaming (post changing desired GPU)

Options

Answers

• dutchie09
    dutchie09 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

@JackE Silly question but the OEM factory reset you are referring to in Acer Care Centre is under Recovery Management > Restore > Reset this PC, correct?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,640 Trailblazer
    Options

> Reset this PC, correct?

Yes. The off-line erase everything option is preferred. If possible, skip the factory Windows re-installation steps that require an on-line connection until after you check to make sure System Protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point app.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Muhil

Ask the service center for a copy of the OEM installation USB media they used to repair your system. Then try to install it off-line as per my earlier posts until you can make sure System Protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point app.

Jack E/NJ

• Muhil
    Muhil Member Posts: 469 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited November 2023
    Options

@JackE instead can I install system image from friends laptop which is the same model?

because recovery drive is only copying the files that trigger the recovery drive in my system , in my case i dont have the recovery files because I clean installed windows 11

• JackE
    Options

instead can I install system image from friends laptop which is the same model?

No, as we already discussed many times before, this is not recommended due to different mainboard serial numbers.

Windows won't properly activate and may in fact eventually de-activate or de-grade performance of certain devices if the serial number does not match the machine from which the image was made. In other words, the recovery image only applies to resetting the machine from which the image was made.

Accordingly, ask the service center that did the repairs on your laptop for a copy of the OEM installation USB media that they used for your mainboard's serial number.

Jack E/NJ

• Muhil
    Options

@JackE I think the issue is with the bios for sure I too am rocking the latest bios and is there any way to dowgrade the bios ?

• JackE
    Options

Risk of adverse side effects, bricking or corrupting mainboard chip is much higher with downgrade than update. Not recommended.

Jack E/NJ

• Muhil
    Options

@StevenGen he is having the same issue as mine but the two models are different but face the same issue after bios update

• JackE
    Options

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Muhil the gpu goes idle and there is no lag

As mentioned many times before, this is normal behavior with all the different videos you are trying run. There is no problem. So don't try to keep fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Jack E/NJ

• Muhil
    Options

@dutchie09 what is jacke here saying bro he is saying normal behaviour but its not normal and I cant make him understand it. The very fact that the issue was not there when buying but it is now itself clears the doubt if it normal or not normal

• JackE
    Options

Ask service center for a copy of their OEM installation USB and to reset BIOS chip to factory-installed firmware.

Jack E/NJ

• Muhil
    Options

@JackE is that possible to do ? is it possible to reset bios chip to factory installed software?

• JackE
    Options

Yes, the service center should be able to reset the BIOS chip to the original factory-installed firmware.

Jack E/NJ

• Muhil
    edited November 2023
    Options

@JackE @GAMING6698 @StevenGen the thing is that the

u see that system using gpu1 copy idk why though but it is using it and because which the laptop gpu is not going to idle state i believe so

• Muhil
    Options

which causing the gpu to go to idle state for some time and then come back up again

u see that dip all the way down there if i keep the cursor it shows idle

• Muhil
    Options

this is the gpu monitoring when the lag is occuring

can u see how many times the gpu is going to lag and coming back up again

• JackE
    Options

Yes. That's due to the different videos you have running in the background. They alternate between the two GPUs. We've discussed this before.

Jack E/NJ

• a_happy_laptop_user
    a_happy_laptop_user Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi Jack,

It seems like you've encountered a specific issue with your Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 PHN16 - 71, and you've already taken some steps to ensure that your drivers and BIOS are up to date. Given the situation, here are some additional steps and considerations you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the screen hanging/freeze issue:

1. Power Management Settings:
      • Check the power management settings both in Windows and any proprietary power management software provided by Acer. Ensure that there are no aggressive power-saving settings causing interruptions.
    2. Graphics Driver Settings:
      • Access the Nvidia Control Panel and navigate to the 3D settings. Make sure that the settings align with the default values. You can experiment with adjusting settings related to power management and performance to see if it has any impact.
    3. Windows Graphics Settings:
      • Open the Windows Graphics Settings (Settings > System > Display > Graphics settings) and ensure that the default GPU for your apps is set appropriately.
    4. Background Processes:
      • Check for any unnecessary background processes or applications that might be consuming system resources. Close down any non-essential applications to see if it has an impact on the freezing issue.
    5. BIOS Settings:
      • Review the BIOS settings related to graphics and power management. Some laptops have advanced graphics options that can be adjusted in the BIOS.
    6. Reinstall Graphics Drivers:
      • Uninstall the Nvidia graphics drivers completely and then reinstall them. Use a tool like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to perform a clean uninstall before reinstalling the latest drivers.
    7. Windows Updates:
      • Make sure that your Windows operating system is fully updated. Sometimes, Windows updates can include fixes for compatibility issues and performance improvements.
    8. Contact Acer Support:
      • If the issue persists, reaching out to Acer's customer support would be a good next step. They may have specific insights or provide further instructions based on your laptop model.

Remember, if you're not comfortable making changes to BIOS settings or performing certain troubleshooting steps, it's always a good idea to seek assistance from Acer support or a knowledgeable professional. They can provide specific guidance based on the details of your system and may be aware of any known issues or updates related to your laptop model.

• Muhil
    Options

@dutchie09 where u able to fix the issue?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

I know I'm responding late. Regarding using erecovery from another computer, being the same model, there are no problems with the Windows serial. Even though erecovery has a different serial, windows is activated based on the serial written in the bios. Therefore, there are no problems using another erecovery from another computer, as long as it is the same model.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)