PHN16 - 71 Acer Predator Screen Hangs after gaming (post changing desired GPU)

Options
dutchie09
dutchie09 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hi there,

I have recently purchased my Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 PHN16 - 71, it's running the Intel i7 13700HX, 16GB RAM, 512GB stoarage and the Nvidia RTX 4060.

I have an issue that only seems to occur when the Nvidia display mode is set to Auto Select (Advanced Optimus). On this setting after playing a game which switches the GPU to the Nvidia GPU only, I will exit the game which then auto selects Optimus as normal, I find that shortly after I am faced with an issue of screen hanging/freeze which happens every 5-10 seconds for about 2 seconds. The screen and mouse freezes during this period and then runs normal again until it happens again. It will do this until I reboot the laptop or switch the Nvidia settings manually to Nvidia GPU only. Very noticeable just scrolling on an internet browser or within an app.

All drivers are up to date as I am typing this, BIOS is on the latest V1.13, 99% of the time I am running it plugged in to power, it is not getting hot and the laptop is only ever doing the bare minimum of a workload when doing this.

Is there any known issues or fixes for this?

Jack

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,623 Trailblazer
    Options

I have recently purchased my Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 PHN16 - 71,
    it's running the Intel i7 13700HX, 16GB RAM, 512GB stoarage and the
    Nvidia RTX 4060. >I have an issue that only seems to occur when the Nvidia display mode is set to Auto Select (Advanced Optimus).

Was this issue apparent when you first acquired the machine?

Jack E/NJ

• dutchie09
    Options

@JackE yes, not sure how long it took to notice it but I was noticing it after a week at the most. Running it on Nvidia GPU only never causes the issue.

• JackE
    edited October 2023
    Options

> BIOS is on the latest V1.13,

(1) Was this version factory installed?

(2) Are nvidia 4060 drivers Acer OEM updates (meaning NOT nvidia 4060 generic updates which may seem newer)?

Jack E/NJ

• dutchie09
    Options

BIOS is certainly V1.13.

The driver updates are the Nvidia game ready drivers. The only Acer updates I have done from the website intentionally is the BIOS, all other updates have been through Windows Update (also optional updates) and through Nvidia GeForce Experience which has done my game ready driver updates.

• JackE
    Options

>The only Acer updates I have done from the website intentionally is the BIOS> also optional updates

Was BIOS v1.13 installed after you noticed problem?

Jack E/NJ

• dutchie09
    Options

Yes I installed V1.13 after I noticed the problem in case this BIOS update addressed this issue. I believe the factory BIOS version was V1.10 before I updated it but couldn’t be absolutely certain.

• Muhil
    Muhil Member Posts: 468 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited October 2023
    Options

@dutchie09 it could be intel drivers or windows update uninstall old updates and uninstall intel gpu drivers , download from support page and install if this doesnt fix , uninstall and the let the windows update install the driver for u , as a last resort u can also like delete temp stuff , windows update temp stuff in settings

• JackE
    Options

Windows Update (also optional updates)

The optional Windows updates are NOT recommended. Download, unzip and try installing these September Acer OEM updates if you haven't done so already.

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_NVIDIA_31.0.15.3210_W11x64_A.zip?acerid=638295944185074750&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=PREDATOR%20PHN16-71&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA%20Utility/VGA%20Utility_NVIDIA_31.0.15.3210_W11x64_A.zip?acerid=638295970527411322&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=PREDATOR%20PHN16-71&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Jack E/NJ

• dutchie09
    Options

Can I just download these updates you posted above and install on the laptop as is or is there some way I can do a fresh Windows install back to factory and then never do the optional updates? Also for future reference, I should only be doing the normal windows updates, Nvidia game ready driver updates and the Acer BIOS and others where needed only?

• JackE
    Options

I'd first try to install them as is since it's probably quickest way of potentially fixing the issue. They may — or may not —- throw an error message due to the non-OEM drivers and optional updates that were installed.

But yes, if need be, a factory reset can be tried from the hidden ACER OEM recovery partition on the boot drive. AcerCareCenter or ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset method can be used.

The only update that can't be reversed to factory —- without a significant risk of bricking the machine —- is the BIOS firmware,

Jack E/NJ

• dutchie09
    Options

No problems, I will give them a go this afternoon and see if they install. If so, I will monitor the problem, test and report back. If not, I will do a factory reset but leave the BIOS as is and just install the regular windows updates and the Acer ones above and monitor and report back also.

• JackE
    Options

OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.🙂 Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

• Muhil
    Options

@dutchie09 where u able to fix the issue ?

• dutchie09
    Options

@JackE No luck, same fault on those drivers you recommended. I spoke to @Muhil via DM and he suggested that signing out and back in on Windows clears it which is correct. Have had no luck trying anything else, do you have any other suggestions? I think a fresh install of Windows 11 is next but I have my doubts whether this will fix it. It seems like something is stuck on in the background after resetting from Nvidia GPU only to Optimus via the Auto Select setting, it’s odd that just a sign out and back in clears it.

• Muhil
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Acer-Ingrid @Acer-Blayn @Commodore_1995# please can u escalate this issue , my warranty has expired so no service or help provided by acer for free

• JackE
    Options

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/dutchie09 > I think a fresh install of Windows 11 is next

Agreed BUT as mentioned earlier, an Acer OEM factory reset should be tried from the hidden factory recovery partition on the boot drive. AcerCareCenter or ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset method can be used.

Immediately after a factory reset, open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. In the box that pops up, make sure System Protection is turned on just in case an errant Windows update is the source of the issue.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Muhil

From your descriptions, all ACER hardware & ACER software seem to be working as expected in your particular PH315-55 model. An ALT+F10 OEM cold-boot re-set should resolve any perceived issues caused by any non-Acer updates applied after you first acquired the machine from the Acer factory or its authorized Acer service center.

Jack E/NJ

• Muhil
    Options

@JackE if the reset had worked i wont even be in this community i will go i have literally tried everything man

• JackE
    Options

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Muhil You should try the reset as we've discussed many times before.

(1) While disconnected from the internet, do a full fresh erase everything Acer factory or Acer service center reset. Simply skip the steps requiring connections.

(2) Then make sure Control Panel's SystemProtection is turned on.

(3) Then connect to the internet again.

(4) Then test again

Jack E/NJ

• Muhil
    Options

@JackE i lost the partition bro because i did clean install windows11 u understand or what it no use im going to fressh installation again