Spin CP514-1H-R4HQ Screen is dark/very dim

kasp
kasp Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in Chromebooks

My Acer Chromebook Spin CP514-1H-R4HQ screen is almost completely dark. If I shine a flashlight on it, I can barely see enough to login. It does successfully connect to an external monitor with an HDMI cable. I have tried the brightness keys, but it does nothing. Moving the brightness bar in the settings menu does nothing. I have tried opening and closing the screen the full rotation, but it hasn't helped. I have tried resetting, but no luck with that either.

The chromebook is 2 months out of warranty. =(

I hope someone here has a suggestion for me. Thank you in advance!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,815 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023

That sounds like the LED backlight has failed. Since you are out of warranty it's worthwhile to open it up and verify it's not just an issue with the eDP cable. There are ten screws that hold the bottom cover in place, remove them and pry the case halves apart gently. Disconnect the battery cable then disconnect and reconnect the EDP cable several times to try and wipe any corrosion off the connectors:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kasp
    kasp Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you. I will try that!

• The voltage related to the backlight must be missing in these connectors:

The correct thing to do would be to check these voltages using a multimeter and electrical diagram. I advise sending it in for repairs.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)